Elephant ears

ladycraft(6b MO)December 2, 2009

I brought some small elephant ears in this year. Do they need to rest? Or should I just keep them alive? Thanks Kathy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donaldb(5B Worcester, MA)

I take care of them as you would if they were outdoors.I have the space so in they come to the sunroom and are basically treated like house plants Others will take care of them as you would canna lilies and dry off the bulb, store in a cool place and wait for spring.Growers choice.

Bookmark   December 2, 2009 at 11:20AM
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9

Here they stay in the ground year around. When we have a substantial frost the foliage frosts to the ground. They grow back from the roots, which are very massive. I don't know just how low a temperature the roots will take. They don't need a dormant period and often we do not get a cold enough winter to frost them back and they look good all winter. Al

Bookmark   December 2, 2009 at 3:56PM
katob Z6ish, NE Pa

See how they like your house. If they don't like the conditions they might yellow off and if that's the case let them dry off in the pot and start watering again when things start to warm up in the spring.

Bookmark   December 2, 2009 at 9:54PM
shinyalloy_5(5b IN)

This is our second year overwintering elephant ears. At first some of the leaves may turn yellow and wilt, cut them off as the new ones emerge. We water generously all winter. This summer it was more than seven feet tall and we were able to take 6 new starts off it when we potted it up again this winter. One didn't make it the others looked ghastly for about 2 weeks, but all are thriving now. The mamma was so big we almost cut it up in hopes of storing just the bulb last week, but it surprised us by sending up a flower spike. The flower only partially opened but the flower was more than a foot long kinda like the flower on a peace lily and yellow-orange (my favorite color). I know others who've had success storing the bulbs but at this point we still haven't had the heart.

MARY

Bookmark   December 3, 2009 at 5:57AM
ladycraft(6b MO)

I had no idea they flower. It must be happy. Some people leave them in the ground here. I will dig the one that is in the ground because I need to move it. Thanks Kathy

Bookmark   December 3, 2009 at 7:10AM
More Discussions
(Cheap) Alternatives to Peat Moss
I need to store some bulbs over the winter and wonder...
dlangend1120
Tulips - Darwin Hybrid Pride grp
I am thrilled with the colors. Amazed they are blooming...
irisgal_z9
How to plant Crinums with leaves
Hey all, Just received some mail order crinums which...
jscaldwell
Will my (most likely) forced tulips ever flower again?
I bought some potted tulips in Feb. '14. I transplanted...
Amy Biondolillo
Is this a scilla?
I bought chionodoxa bulbs a few years back and this...
vaflowernut
Sponsored Products
Javier Bejeweled 5" x 7" Fame - MULTI COLORS
$1,500.00 | Horchow
Recife Elephant Cocoa/ Black Rug (7'6 x 10'9)
Overstock.com
Elephant Personalized Jewelry Roll
$78.00 | Horchow
A Mother's Love Print
$21.99 | Dot & Bo
Koko Company Bazaar Turquoise Decorative Pillow - 91246
$99.00 | Hayneedle
Bunny Bell Jar
$26.99 | Dot & Bo
Sweet JoJo Designs 200 Thread Count Jungle Time Bedding Collection Cotton Sheet
Overstock.com
Brownie Gifts Hot Pink Elephant Clutch - PNKELEC