Substitute course perlite for turface?

edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)March 30, 2012

I read a post recently on this but can't find it again. Can I substitute course screened perlite for turface in the gritty mix? I only need a little gritty mix and I have the perlite on hand. Do I have to alter the 1:1:1 ratio? Does perlite retain less water? Thanks. Ed.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Perlite has no internal porosity. As a consequence, it holds much less water than Turface. on a size for size basis, perlite is closer to a substitute for granite than Turface MVP/Allsport.

Perlite holds much less water than Turface and considerably more water than granite. Particle size is important, so you would probably have to have found the course horticultural grade of perlite for it to be suitable as a sub for granite.

Where do you live? You can substitute NAPA floor dry for Turface if you have to.

Al

Bookmark   March 31, 2012 at 11:41AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)

Al thanks for the clarification. I must have read that post wrong. Yeah, I didn't think that perlite was very water retentive. I have the Turface or the NAPA floor dry available.....or even the Carquest floor dry. Anybody ever try the Walmart floor dry? I was hoping that I could possibly avoid buying ANOTHER large bag of stuff. Well, I gusss there's always room for 1 more bag. Thanks again :-)

Bookmark   March 31, 2012 at 1:22PM
More Discussions
Help! My kumqat is dying
Hello everyone, I am hoping to get some help related...
bashchelik
Aglaonema - help
I bought this red aglaonema couple of months back....
bluehaven_gweb
Zuchinni/Courgette, lots of leaf growth, but not many fruit
Hi, My courgette plant is doing great in terms of leaf...
bopwinter
Need help identifying a few plants from a photo
Can someone please identify the plants used in this...
Merci Ava Maria
Potting into Air Pots, root length question
Hello all, My question is, air pots are supposed to...
stickstring (Northern California 8b)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™