Container trellises or stakes for garden veggies. pics please

dapperMarch 6, 2011

I would love to see pictures of how you folks are staking or trellising tomatoes, cucumbers, watermelon, cantalopes, squash, or pumpkins from your containers.

I have a ton of round tomato cages I used in my old raised beds. I would love to be able to use these in containers but they do need to be anchored down somehow.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

That issue was easy for me - I slip the cages into the pots, then secure the top of the cage to a chain link fence. You could do the same by stretching any type of fabric fencing between 2 or more posts & then attaching the cages to the fencing. There is no danger of anything toppling, either.

Al

Bookmark   March 7, 2011 at 2:51PM
jane__ny(9-10)

I used black deer netting between my deck rails. I grew my tomatoes in pots on the ground and tied the tomatoes to stakes, bird-netting and the deck, itself.

If you look between the rails, on the left side, you might see the deer netting. This is a moon flower and morning glory vine.

Here's another shot. This vine is growing from a pot on the ground, climbing up the deer netting.

This photo shows so many plants, but you can see the tomatoes with stakes and there is deer netting between the deck rails. I tied tomato branches directly to the deck. I used heavy metal stakes which had green plastic coating.

Not terribly creative, but it worked and didn't look too ugly.

Jane

Bookmark   March 7, 2011 at 7:45PM
dapper

I was actually thinking of taking rebar and drive 2 rods per container (either tote or 5 gal bucket), then attaching the tomato cage to them. I just wanted to see what others are doing, maybe use soome other ideas.

Bookmark   March 7, 2011 at 11:37PM
jodik_gw

I don't have any photos to show, but I use cut pieces of pig panel fencing to secure what amounts to free-standing trellising to. In other words, if there's no fence to attach the tomato cage to, I have tall pieces of free-standing fence made from pig panel sections. The pig panel piece gets stuck into the ground on legs that we've left intact, and I loosely tie the tomato cage to it.

Luckily, I have 4 raised beds that are fenced in, and the corners are fairly close to the fencing... close enough for vining plants to grow toward and then onto them.

Bookmark   March 8, 2011 at 8:04AM
ykerzner(9 TX)

Crape-myrtle sticks or pampas grass canes, driven into the containers, two at a time. I also build my own mega-trellis constructions with twine and branches for vining plants.

Bookmark   March 9, 2011 at 1:13AM
More Discussions
Long Term Potting Mix Recipe - Alternative to Gritty Mix
Hi everyone, I'm a new gardener from Perth, Western...
arcan
I have a cold, south facing porch. What container flowers might grow?
It's cold there now. In a few weeks nothing will free...
Blue Hills Gardens and Designs
Buckeye re-potting - Trees in Containers (pics)
Hello and good afternoon, container gardeners! California...
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soils
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soilscolor>size> A...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
pine straw instead of pine bark fines?
Dear folks According to the 5-1-1 mix I should use...
ItsJorgen
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™