Planting eggplant and capsicum sprouts

keengardener2013February 17, 2013

Hi all,

I have managed to sprout some eggplant and capsicum seeds by keeping those in a wet paper tissue. Now, I am wondering what would be the best approach to plant these. I would be planting these into containers, so can I directly plant these sprouts in the containers?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sunnibel7 Md 7(7)

You probably do not want to out them into the final large container right away. It is very hard to keep them watered properly without overwatering them in a container that is much larger than they are. Especially at the teeny tiny seedling stage. If you have ever saved the 4 or 6 packs that you buy flowers and other transplants in at the nursery, those are a good size to start. Otherwise a used plastic pudding cup, small plastic cup, or other similar sized container would be good. Then when they seem to be about to outgrow that, move them to something bigger. Cheers!

Bookmark   February 17, 2013 at 10:47AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Agree with the above. First you have to let the sprouted seed turn into a young seedling and then a plant before you stick it in its final container.

Just transplant your germinated seeds into any small containers of a soil-less mix and let them grow first.

There is a FAQ all about how to do this over on the Growing from Seed forum here.

Dave

Bookmark   February 17, 2013 at 11:43AM
More Discussions
Do eggplants have high yield?
I'm going to grow one. Thinking of growing two. Do...
shijitake
Row covers for warmth
Couple questions about using row covers mostly for...
joeschmoe80
Are artichokes difficult to germinate?
I planted some 8 days ago... I got nothing. They are...
Peter
what varieties of watermelons are you growing?
what varieties of watermelons are you growing?
gridgardener
Romaine Lettuce help
So I plant 3 sets of 3 romaine plants about 2 1/2 weeks...
robbversion1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™