Callalily in Pot/Freezing

campvDecember 21, 2012

I have two Callalilies in nice clay pots under the coverd patio next to the house wall. The temp here can get as low as 18. Do I need to protect their roots/bulbs. After 7 years of trial and error(had to transplant from the yard) I have finnally got them to grow really big. With summers in the 100's(cooking them) and winters in the low 30's its been tuff but I think I have a handel on it now. I would if possible like them to keep their leaves over winter. What can I do?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vetivert8(NI-NZ zone 9a)

The plain white ones and 'Green Goddess' (Z aethiopica) tend to be evergreen over winter (though they can look a little raggy). If you can give them a micro-climate for a higher zone, and keep them damp-enough over winter, evergreen is possible. I'd make sure the terracotta was frost-proof, though. There's something about that little circle of frosted-off flakes around a treasured pot that quite sours the early days of spring:-((
The coloured ones (the elliott hybrids) definitely go dormant for me, usually falling over with the first frost. They're the ones with spotted leaves.

Bookmark   December 23, 2012 at 8:48PM
More Discussions
Frozen Glad Bulbs
I screwed up. Dug up my gladiolus bulbs, but left them...
gorgar1
what to do now, amaryllis?
My amaryllis had 5 large blooms, than sent up another stock...
penroy
Any small tulips which voles & squirrels won't eat?
I would love to plant some small tulips, in the 4 to...
Eimer
Gladiolus bulbs, direct sunlight
I would like to try planting some this spring in New...
xyz10
What is this weed bulb?
This is some sort of bulb - all I know about it. It...
jacqueline9CA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™