Water logged container grown cherry

elight23(z6OR)April 27, 2013

I recently planted a multi-varity bare-root dwarf cherry tree in a large container. As the weather warmed it started leafing out and it looked good until we received unseasonably rainy weather and I happened to notice that the pot was not draining and the tree was water logged. I drained out all of the excess water, made a larger hole on the bottom and removed the clog and left it since we were to experience unseasonably warm and sunny weather for several days.
It's been about a week and the tree looks like it is in suspended animation. The buds that were just breaking are still that way and the leaves that were out haven't grown and filled out and don't look vibrant. I just went and dumped out a lot of the soil so that it could dry out some, but really the soil didn't look too bad. Should I go ahead and remove it from the pot, examine the roots and repot it in another pot with entirely new soil or do you think it will come around after some more time?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

There is no doubt that the problem is the mix you are using. What is it made of? Al

Bookmark   April 27, 2013 at 9:28AM
elight23(z6OR)

Well, there was a clog at the base that covered the holes that wasn't related to the mix. It's just a standard potting soil, nothing fancy, but a potting soil none the less - the usual ingredients I'm sure including vermiculite.

Bookmark   April 27, 2013 at 11:12AM
elight23(z6OR)

I think, since this tree was a gift, I'll remove and repot, maybe with additional vermiculite and some worm castings. I read that spraying the leaves with seaweed fertilizer could help too...

Bookmark   April 27, 2013 at 11:45AM
shazaam(NC 7B)

Before adding worm castings and vermiculite to a mix that already might be too water retentive, I suggest that you read this post...

Container Soils - Water Movement and Retention XVI

Bookmark   April 27, 2013 at 12:28PM
elight23(z6OR)

Thanks, that was all very interesting. I will add a wick and look for bark fines.

Bookmark   April 27, 2013 at 12:49PM
More Discussions
Any issues planting in copper pots?
I have some old copper containers I want to use for...
garden_dogs
Cor-ten planters safe for growing edibles?
I'd like to grow some edibles but the best sun is in...
midwestgal67
Pine Bark Fines Substitute?
I'm having trouble finding pine bark fines for the...
johnweh
Potting into Air Pots, root length question
Hello all, My question is, air pots are supposed to...
stickstring (Northern California 8b)
Question about too much dryness in my container garden
I have several Behlen food-grade stocktanks (1x2x6)...
catherinet
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™