New to Gardening

keys_sizzling_gardenApril 14, 2014

Hello all,
I am new to gardening...honestly haven't even started yet but I'm super excited to get started!!! I recently bought 3 City Picker planters and want your opinions on a good fertilizer. A organic and a non-organic suggestion would be much appreciated just in case I can find both or neither!!! I've found the potting mix which is Nature's way potting mix, for dolomite I've found Espoma and for the fertilizer I've gotten stuck simply because I may be over thinking it, but I do know I need a granular fertilizer with the 3 numbers between 5-15 and I'm positive I'm not looking for lawn fertilizer therefore should I be looking for a particular fertilizer for my garden or should I be looking for compost or both? Also last question, would it be best to do my own seeds or should I start with seedlings?

Happy Gardening ALL,
Key

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardenper(8)

I think with those kinds of boxes, it's better to plant a seedling (or rather, a plant that is a few inches tall) than to sow seed directly. So you could sow your own seeds into temporary cups or small containers, then transfer them in.

Check where you bought your City Pickers and they would probably have the granular fertilizer.

Keep in mind those 3 numbers can be multiples . For example, a 10-10-10 means that if you find something 20-20-20, it's still in the same ratios and could be used.

Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 12:34PM
DMForcier(8 DFW)

What are you planning to grow?

Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 2:26PM
keys_sizzling_garden

Thank you for the seedlings suggestion @gardenper!
DMForcier I want to start out planting the plant we et regularly such as tomatoes, spinach, arugula, zucchini, basil, bell peppers, melons things good for my area in the spring/summer time!

Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 3:05PM
More Discussions
Pre-watering before Fertilizing Vegetables
I have read on GardenWeb where some people (who appear...
stringz
Window box
I live in NJ and every spring we plant flowers in a...
hoganjr
"tapla" root pruning question
Hi Al, I bought another Brush Cherry, and wanted your...
halocline
What to plant in 4 1/4 Gallon Food Grade Buckets?
I was recently given about 20 4 1/4 gallon food grade...
MikeinPA_Zone5b
Sponsored Products
Rose Garden Small Outdoor Bottom Wall Mount
$90.90 | Bellacor
LEDme 2-Light Light Bar by WAC Lighting
$94.50 | Lumens
Antique Red Slat Crate
Overstock.com
Kartell | La Boheme Stools
YLiving.com
AeroQuick 110 Gallon Recycled Plastic Compost Bin - AQ 110
$221.00 | Hayneedle