Daffodils under a birch tree

cornellcottage(9/Sunset 16)December 11, 2011

Hi folks -- we recently moved into a place with a beautiful mature weeping birch in the front yard. I was hoping to plant daffs in the lawn under it (canopy isn't that thick, so they'd be getting about 6 hours of sun), but my generally-wise gardening father suggests it will be difficult for anything to thrive underneath a thirsty birch tree. Does this mirror with your experience? Is it foolhardy to plant bulbs under a tree?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pizzuti(5A)

Under a tree is a perfect spot to put bulbs because the bulbs grow in the early spring, before the trees leaf out.

Yes, birch trees are "thirsty" but they need water because they lose it through evaporation from their leaves; in March/April they are not covered in leaves yet, so there will be plenty of moisture int he soil.

In the mean time you have to have to supply a "thirsty" tree water and protect the soil with mulch - you may as well plant flowers in it to take advantage of what's there!

Bookmark   December 11, 2011 at 8:39PM
calistoga_al

As noted planting under the tree is not a problem, but planting in a lawn that will need mowing while the daffodils have all their foliage is problematical. If it is a "no mow" lawn it will work. Al

Bookmark   December 12, 2011 at 8:31AM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

If you are happy with long grass until the foliage dies down there's no problem. You see lawns with long patches in early summer all the time here where planting bulbs in grass is standard practice. It will look fine as long as it is obvious it is deliberate rather than just an oversight.
And why stop at daffodils? You could start the show with winter aconites, move on to snowdrops, then crocus, then daffodils and finally species tulips.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bulbs under trees

Bookmark   December 12, 2011 at 12:48PM
cornellcottage(9/Sunset 16)

Thanks, everyone! The lawn is indeed low-mow, so it sounds like this plan will work after all. I'll race out and get to it today!

Bookmark   December 17, 2011 at 12:17PM
More Discussions
Ideas on Bulbs
Hello everyone, I was thinking of getting a bulb for...
nad0nad
why wont my amaryllis bloom
I have had two plants for a about 3 years now and neither...
Tinkerbel
Gloriosa lily in zone 7b
Does anyone have experience growing gloriosa lily (gloriosa...
southerngardening24
Poll: share what is blooming for you!
My brother in Zone 8 has daffodils blooming! What...
posierosie_zone7a__
40% bulb sale on Van Engelen
in case anyone is interested.
KarenPA_6b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™