Allium Raspberry & Cream ?

Carrie BDecember 13, 2012

I just purchased 5 bags of allium from Lowes - end of season discount - 75% off. I couldn't resist. Yesterday I bought healthy looking A. 'Gladiator' there for $2 each for bags of 3.

Today's allium were $1.75 each for bags of 10 which are labeled: Allium Raspberry & Cream. The photo on the bags (linked, I hope) have two different varieties of allium. Nowhere on the bag or in the enclosed plastic label does it call them anything other than "Raspberry cream." Any thoughts on what these two allium might be? I'm happy to have them, regardless.

Here is a link that might be useful: Allium 'Rasberry & Cream'

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
stimpy926

Hi Carrie, it's these - in the link

I planted these 2 autumns ago but the maroon ones - atropurpureum - didn't lastt beyond the first season . The whites are probably A. stipitatum - which are more vigorous

Here is a link that might be useful: alllium

Bookmark   December 16, 2012 at 10:30PM
Carrie B

Thank you, Paula. My experience with the ornamental alliums here is that most of them last a year or so and then peter out. It'll be fun to see them this spring, and they were cheap enough that I'll be happy with whatever I get. Thanks again.

Bookmark   December 16, 2012 at 10:43PM
ontnative(5b Can/USDA 4)

If you want some vigorous Alliums, try 'Globemaster', 'Purple Sensation', 'Ivory Queen'(a short one)or A. Sphaerocephalon. 'Globemaster' does not seed itself because it is a hybrid of two different species, but the others all seed around a little too much in my garden. Of all these, 'Globemaster' is my favourite.

Bookmark   December 23, 2012 at 3:29PM
Carrie B

Thanks, ontnative - I have quite a few Purple Sensation & I love them. The "Raspberry & Cream" mix (and the 'Gladiator') were on such clearance that I couldn't resist giving them a try - even if they turn out to be annual in my garden.

Bookmark   December 25, 2012 at 10:12AM
More Discussions
Storing Oxalis rhizomes
I've just repotted an old oxalis triangularis that's...
garystpaul
Tulips, coming up, leaf tips now yellow...
So this is the issue...planted a ton of bulbs in pots...
pinkkpearls
Gladiolus bulbs, direct sunlight
I would like to try planting some this spring in New...
xyz10
Any small tulips which voles & squirrels won't eat?
I would love to plant some small tulips, in the 4 to...
Eimer
why wont my amaryllis bloom
I have had two plants for a about 3 years now and neither...
Tinkerbel
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™