Suet cages

pippi21(Z7 Silver Spring, Md.)December 25, 2010

While cleaning and trying to organize our son's garage better this summer on one of our visits; I saw he had about 3 or 4 suet cages laying around on a workbench. A light went off in my head; could they be used for bulb cages to keep the critters from digging and eating the Spring bulbs? It looked like the wire is about 1 inch square, although I didn't measure it. I'm thinking for the larger bulbs, why not? It could be planted the depth you normally would plant the bulbs..When at Walmart yesterday, I came upon another one and I mentioned it to my husband which wasn't interested in my idea at that time. Think about it and give me your opinion or if you happen to have a suet cage, measure the wire squares on it and post your thoughts here.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
iris_gal(z9 CA)

Aren't these narrow in width?

The pocket gophers here have tunnels that are just over an inch in diameter so I have to use a smaller mesh than I've seen on suet cages.

Bookmark   January 2, 2011 at 6:35PM
cynthianovak

i don't know about little critters, but I put down coated wire over my veggies and summer flowers and my dogs did not dig at all. The dark green coaked wire worked beautifully. But then again, they go from the top down.

Also, I did not see any squirrels digging either. Could have missed them, but havent seen any evidence that they are planting pecans through the wire.

c

c

Bookmark   January 3, 2011 at 1:04AM
helenh(z6 SW MO)

I think that would be an expensive solution.

Bookmark   January 3, 2011 at 11:45AM
plantwhisperer49(8)

helenh is right, too expensive and the squares are too large. The critters will use their feet to manipulate the bulb closer to the squares in order to eat more. Something I've found that worked well for me over the years is pepper. Sprinkle about a tablespoon of ground pepper around the bulb and mix some in the soil. For longer lasting results, put some pepper corns around the bulb. Tabasco works when putting it on the bulb direct (if you like spicy foods, might taste ok but doesn't last long. There are some commercial squirrel repellents that have an extremely hot and spicy taste that also work very well, too.

Bookmark   January 5, 2011 at 4:47PM
More Discussions
Frozen Glad Bulbs
I screwed up. Dug up my gladiolus bulbs, but left them...
gorgar1
Miracle Gro for Narcissus?
Is the 'all- purpose' Miracle-Gro okay to use for feeding...
Theresa McHarney
Unsure what to do with cyclamen
There are a lot of cyclamen posts but none seem to...
cosuperfly
Can you identify my amaryllis?
I bought one in a box---you know the ones that come...
newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
Please Help! Can I plant allium bulbs in the spring?
Hello all, I just found this website yesterday and...
midwestplantsfan
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™