new to co, help on bulbs

bbiancaDecember 15, 2009

dear gardeners:

i am new to colorado springs. i want to plant bulbs, tulips, peonies, etc. can you tell me when i should be planting what?

thanks.

bianca

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

Hi bbianca,

Welcome to The Bulb Forum.

Your question covers a good bit so I will start and hopefully others will add more.

Peonies are actually tubers, as opposed to being bulbs. They are best planted in the fall, though they can also be planted in the spring.

Here is a good link that explains a lot about planting and growing peonies. How to Grow Peonies The most important thing to remember is that they need sun, well drained soil, and should not be planted too deeply.

Typically Spring blooming bulbs such as tulips, daffodils, hyacinths, grape hyacinths (muscari), crocus, etc are bought and planted in the fall after the soil temperatures have cooled down into the fifties. I would think that in your area, it would probably be too late to plant any bulbs, that is 'if' you could even find any this late.

Some tulips are a lot more perennial than others. Most of the cheaper ones sold in the big box stores, will give you one spring of pretty blooms, but will likely disappoint you in the years to come.

You can either buy spring blooming bulbs in the big box stores, if you just starting out and not collecting or sure of what you might like, or else you can order from numerous places on line, that have nice bulbs and good reputations. I'd suggest Brent and Becky's Bulbs and Buggy Crazy for 2 sources that I have been extremely pleased with.

Sue...an admitted daff addict

There is also a Peony Forum you might want to check out for additional info.

Bookmark   December 16, 2009 at 9:29AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vetivert8(NI-NZ zone 9a)

Hi bbianca

Very strongly recommend you visit with the Rocky Mountains forum. They are friendly, somewhat crazed in the best ways, and can give you very specific information for growing in your area and altitude.

They also run swapmeets...

Bookmark   December 17, 2009 at 5:09AM
More Discussions
Poll: share what is blooming for you!
My brother in Zone 8 has daffodils blooming! What...
posierosie_zone7a__
When do oriental hybrid lilies bloom, i have some bulbs in pot outside
I brought a pot of 4 hybrid oriental lilies from home...
tlbean2004
narcissus bulbs on clearance
Just wanted to share that I bought potted narcissus...
southerngardening24
Will my (most likely) forced tulips ever flower again?
I bought some potted tulips in Feb. '14. I transplanted...
Amy Biondolillo
Tulips - Darwin Hybrid Pride grp
I am thrilled with the colors. Amazed they are blooming...
irisgal_z9
Sponsored Products
Chintaly Tasha Extendable Dining Table with Glass Top - CTY1294
Hayneedle
O-Link Rug 8'3" x 11'6" - BLACK
$779.00 | Horchow
Diamond Sofa Tanner Retro Tufted Loveseat In Black
Beyond Stores
Quay Pendant - Aluminum - Original BTC
$305.00 | HORNE
Texas 2-ft 36W LED Rectangular Profile Wall Mount
LBC Lighting