spotted first flowering snowdrops

linaria_gwDecember 24, 2010

Hello there,

2 days ago I saw my first flowering Galanthus, so for me the next bulb season has kind of started. OK, we are in a very warm/mild region but still I got excited and cant wait till my crocusses should follow suit in a very few weeks.

Tonight though everything got covered by a really blizzardlike 2-3 inches of snow, so patience is needed.

A merry Christmas and all to you, bye,

Lin

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vetivert8(NI-NZ zone 9a)

And a successful gardening New Year to you! Hope those crocuses are braving the weather and showing up now.

Bookmark   January 10, 2011 at 8:38PM
katob Z6ish, NE Pa

Any crocus yet?

We are above freezing here for a day or two and then it's back to the teens and single digits. I shouldn't complain about the cold though, it keeps things from sprouting too early and then getting nipped back. Still a couple snowdrop blooms would be a nice sight!

Bookmark   January 19, 2011 at 6:45PM
linaria_gw

Actually,
the first crocuses showed up around mid January, survived twice light snowfall and freezing temperatures.
Here a first whiff of spring,

bye, Lin

Crocus ancyrensis

H. foetidus "Wester Flisk"?

Eranthis hyemalis

first bee

Bookmark   January 25, 2011 at 12:33PM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

Linaria - it looks as if your season is almost exactly in synch with mine. Snowdrops in a local square.

Bookmark   January 25, 2011 at 12:57PM
katob Z6ish, NE Pa

I am very envious, thanks for taking and posting the photos! There's no garden picture I enjoy more in the winter than snowdrops and winter aconite, there's something special about them being so early.

You don't happen to have any cyclamen in bloom do you? that would be almost like rubbing salt in the wounds... especially coming out of a -17F night and going into another winter snowstorm tomorrow!

Bookmark   January 25, 2011 at 8:30PM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

kato_b I am really glad you asked that question. I would have said, "No, I only have Cyclamen hederifolium, an Autumn bloomer". But I have just been out to the compost with the kitchen scraps and spotted a cyclamen bud! I seem to have a single C coum after all. Yet another thing I planted and forgot. So thanks!

And there are also some double snowdrops opening up. Note the slug damage - the curse of a mild damp climate.

Bookmark   January 26, 2011 at 6:34AM
linaria_gw

Hello Flora,
great that you post some pics too for all the spring deprived gardeners. And yes, our regions seem to be in sync. Other stuff flowering here (sorry, that is Basel, Switzerland, my member profile got lost, couldnt fix it yet because of some bug...) is Jasminum nudiflorum, tulip and large daff foliage stats to emerge, flower buds on the Wisteria are swelling. And great, double snow drops. And for the slugs: I had holes eaten into my prim roses (they startet flowering in Dezember), probably slugs as well.
And kato, sorry, no cyclamen in my border. Hang on, I mean, -17F= -27C, thats bad. If we get a mean bad frost its around -9 C= 15 F. Now I wait for the first botanical daffodils and species tulips,
bye, Lin

Bookmark   January 26, 2011 at 12:22PM
cjjulian

Very nice Pictures! I am new to bulbs this season and I am excited to see mine bloom.

So far my Crocus are blooming and my Tulips are popping their little points out of the ground.

Bookmark   January 26, 2011 at 2:23PM
katob Z6ish, NE Pa

heh heh...more crocus.... not nice!
The -17 was on the drive through the mountains in the morning. I hope it did not get any colder than -6 in the garden, if it did I might need to replace a few things. One good thing is we have a nice snow cover right now (and it's actually increasing by the minute)

Love the cyclamen but not the slugs.
I have a few coum seedlings safe in the garage but even when they have grown and are planted some day in the garden I don't expect to see them bloom before March the earliest.

Enjoy your spring!!

Bookmark   January 26, 2011 at 8:24PM
More Discussions
Tulips, coming up, leaf tips now yellow...
So this is the issue...planted a ton of bulbs in pots...
pinkkpearls
what's goin' on
grocery store tulips , and am i blue
daves10z7annv
Relocating daffodils
I have a number of daffodil clumps that are either...
madabouteu
Hipeastrum papilio x H.Donau
After repeated and many unsuccessfull crossbreeding...
haweha
Need daffodil bulb advice in NC
Got 100 daffodil bulbs, planted a month ago.In S W...
missdeborahp
Sponsored Products
Zaneen | Dau Spot 4 Light Square Ceiling Light
YLighting
David Bromstad "Flowers in a Jar" Artwork VII
Grandin Road
Grass and Mini Cattails Silk Plant
Overstock.com
Raiden Semi-Flushmount by Minka-Lavery
$189.90 | Lumens
Best Quality Lighting Path & Landscape Lights LV33VRD Landscape Lighting Path
$86.00 | Home Depot