Help! Just Planted Bulbs: To Water or Not To Water???

elleni(4a)December 3, 2011

OK! I went out in the 32ð F cold today and planted all the bulbs I had space for from my Black Friday box. (The rest will be potted and forced or sent further South.) I finished just as the snow started to fall here in zone 4a. While the ground is NOT frozen, the temps here are now stuck at Midwest Winter-- below freezing for HIGHS from now on. My problem is, with the freezing temps, I am worried to water the bulbs in. I didn't water, but I could, if I must. What should I do?? Someone tell me quick!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

Let Mother Nature take care of them from now on. They will be fine. No need to water.

Congratulations on finishing up your planting, though it was quite chilly.

Sue

Bookmark   December 3, 2011 at 6:44PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pizzuti(5A)

Don't water a garden with snow on it - it will cause a layer of hard ice to form on the surface and in turn prevent oxygen from getting into the soil and the plants in it. What I've read is that it takes about one month for that to start killing roots, which can even impact your lawn or trees.

If you are concerned about dry soil while there is snow around, you could shovel a little more snow on the spot so that it will melt as the weather permits. This time of year the soil is still warm so the snow will melt from the bottom up - and snow lets oxygen through. Just do not pack the snow with your feet and keep it as fluffy as possible.

Bookmark   December 6, 2011 at 12:03AM
More Discussions
Snowdrops in the green...
Does anyone know of a source for purchasing snowdrops...
scott_madison
Experience with Ordering from Brecks or Royal Dutch Catalogs??
Has anyone ordered spring flowering bulbs from either...
bobk_stl
Poll: share what is blooming for you!
My brother in Zone 8 has daffodils blooming! What...
posierosie_zone7a__
Gladiolus bulbs, direct sunlight
I would like to try planting some this spring in New...
xyz10
identify tulips
I have 2 tulips that I need help identifying. The little...
jessica_h
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™