Cyclamen

yugoslavaDecember 2, 2011

I'm trying to have a cyclamen that flowered last winter do the same again but the difficulty is my house is warm. I'm keeping it outside for now and it's surprising how well it looks when it's kept outside. I don't quite know how low temperature has to be before I bring it in. I wonder if I should have attempted to bring it out of dormancy earlier, like September. I love Cyclamen, for the colour, scent and length of bloom. I keep it during winter close by the outside door and it does very well but for now it is still warm. Please give me some advice. Thank you

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pizzuti(5A)

Bring it in before it freezes; it's likely not frost-hardy. I think it only needs a cold period of 6-8 weeks or so to return to growth.

Bookmark   December 3, 2011 at 5:35PM
bulborum(8)

What for Cyclamen do you have
C. persicum , C.coum , C. hederifolium or ?????

Roland

Bookmark   December 11, 2011 at 2:03PM
yugoslava

I don't know. I bought it in 2010 before Christmas. It bloomed beautifully and the tuber seemed a good size so I thought I should keep it. I let it go dormant. However, I didn't know how long is the dormancy period for cyclamen. I didn't start watering until late August and found the house was too warm. So, I kept it outside until frost. In my opinion I should have taken it out of dormancy much earlier.

Bookmark   December 24, 2011 at 12:45PM
denninmi(8a)

It no doubt is C. persicum, the florist's cyclamen.

All is not lost, if you can give it cool, bright spot and short days, it should bloom -- I don't know that they're actually photoperiodic, but I've always found that mine, if treated like a Christmas cactus, will behave the same way and begin to bloom.

Bookmark   December 25, 2011 at 6:32PM
More Discussions
Gloriosa lily in zone 7b
Does anyone have experience growing gloriosa lily (gloriosa...
southerngardening24
Any small tulips which voles & squirrels won't eat?
I would love to plant some small tulips, in the 4 to...
Eimer
Can you identify my amaryllis?
I bought one in a box---you know the ones that come...
newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
Ideas on Bulbs
Hello everyone, I was thinking of getting a bulb for...
nad0nad
Daffodil foliage emerging
I'm not one to panic when spring bulb foliage appears...
agardenstateof_mind
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™