Sprouting rutabaga - will it grow?

bomber095(z5b MA)February 17, 2010

During a recent visit to my inlaws, I noticed that my MIL has a rutabaga sitting on her counter that has started to sprout at the top. Can these sprouts be cut off and planted in the same way that sweet potato slips can be?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tcstoehr

Well... you may get some root growth, and then again you may not. And you may get some top growth, and then again you may not. But you won't get a new rutabaga.

Bookmark   February 17, 2010 at 12:29PM
skeip

Because Rutabagas are biennials, if you plant the Rutabaga, ultimately you will get a big bushy plant and a flower stalk, and possibly seeds so that you can grow even more rutabagas.

Bookmark   February 17, 2010 at 3:47PM
jimster(z7a MA)

Your MIL's rutabaga is beginning its second season of growth. The entire rutabaga can be planted in your garden. If it has not been trimmed too severely around the base it will develop roots and grow. If it grows it will develop leaves, then a large mass of yellow flowers which will later form seed pods. When the pods mature you will have an enormous quantity of seed.

So far as using that year old plant as starters for this year's crop, I don't know. I doubt it would work.

Jim

Bookmark   February 17, 2010 at 9:57PM
More Discussions
ancient
this news just in-23 year old lettuce seeds do not...
davids10 z7a nv.
Are artichokes difficult to germinate?
I planted some 8 days ago... I got nothing. They are...
Peter
which tomato seeds to get?
Live in zone 9b (about 60 miles North of Galveston...
new-beginning
Which sweet potato varieties have best foliage and good yields?
I want to grow sweet potatoes in a visible location...
armbarangel
What to direct seed in eastern pa
Hi everyone. I'm begining to plan my garden for spring,...
mfran12345
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™