Carrots...made simple

gardenweb88(9)April 6, 2013

I've gotten myself a variety of carrot seeds and my plan is to use seed planting strips to plant the seeds in a 30 gallon plastic tote or maybe a few 5 gallon plastic jug. Being new to gardening, can someone give me explicit directions as to what type of soil I need? What type of fertilizer I need? When to add fertilizer? I've come across conflicting instructions and have lost my confidence before I've even gotten started.

So far, I've bought Miracle Gro potting mix, some Vermiculite, and some Alaskaî by Penningtonî Vegetable and Tomato Dry Fertilizer 4-6-6. I bought the above items based on the soil recipe provided in the below link, but now I'm reading that the combination of potting mix and vermiculite might cause excess moisture retention.
http://www.vegetable-garden-guide.com/growing-carrots.html

Can you help make this first carrot planting simpler?

Since the containers I've chosen lack included drain holes, I'll need to drill a few at the bottoms right?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nil13(z21 L.A., CA (Mt. Washington))

I use a mix similar to the 5-1-1 that a lot of people round here use. I use a fruit and berry controlled release fertilizer because it's about 3-1-2 NPK. Yes, you will absolutely need drainage in those containers. I never use vermiculite for anything because its expensive and breaks down too fast. Your MG potting mix is already very moisture retentive, moreso than I would use.

Bookmark   April 6, 2013 at 11:21AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tommyr_gw

LOOSE soil. I always work in some perlite to loosen the soil.

Bookmark   April 6, 2013 at 1:54PM
More Discussions
fertilizing cuttings ?
Hello - I have some fig cuttings in 60% perlite/40%...
briana_2006
Culinary Herbs?
I need to buy some culinary herbs. Where is the best...
sharbear50
Pop Quiz TIme: What plants are in this container?
Looks like the deep purple ones are petunias. But what...
Lisa Richter
CONTAINER SOILS - WATER MOVEMENT and RETENTION XXII
Hello! Houzz's new format has presented some challenges,...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
Wicking more water retentive soils
I was wondering what the disadvantages are when using...
Jacques
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™