Can I plant these in a strawberry container?

gthumb21(5b)April 19, 2012

I am building a container garden made up of 5 gallon buckets. I wanted to know if it would yield more if I planted them each in a container, or if I planted many in one (like a strawberry container with holes on the side).

The plants I am specifically asking this about are: tomatoes, peas, green beans, peppers, and cucumbers.

I have been making some 12 hole containers (on the side), but I could reduce this down to 6 or 3 if this would help for certain vegetables. Of course, I have a ton of regular 5 gallon buckets that I can use if neither of these options are optimal. I just thought I would be better to ask than to experiment and waste my garden space.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Johnsp(6b)

You could do this but 5 gallon buckets would be especially small for tomatoes unless your prepared to provide lots of water and fertilizer. Yields will be determined by the amount of fertilizer available not whether they are planted on the side or top.

Scott

Bookmark   April 21, 2012 at 6:01PM
gthumb21(5b)

I have a self watering system, so it gets water perfectly all the time. I have added 2 cups of granular 5-3-1 organic plant food and 1 cup agricultural lime with a 70 / 30 mix of peat moss and vermiculite.

But you think I should stick to one plant or multiple? I want the highest yield.combination.

Bookmark   April 21, 2012 at 9:27PM
Ohiofem(6a Ohio)

None of the vegetables you list will do well sharing a container with any other plant. I would plant no more than one of any of them in a 5-gallon pot. Tomatoes and cucumbers would give you a better yield in a larger pot. Even peppers need at least 5 gallons per plant.

Bookmark   April 22, 2012 at 6:41PM
gthumb21(5b)

Thanks, that is what I thought. Just didn't want any wasted space in the bottom of my 5 gallon containers.

Bookmark   April 29, 2012 at 6:14PM
More Discussions
zone 9 or so best roses for containers
what are your best roses for container gardening
zippity1
To find popular threads try this...
When you are looking for popular threads from the GW...
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
Any issues planting in copper pots?
I have some old copper containers I want to use for...
garden_dogs
PVC liner OK for growing food?
A contractor friend of mine made me a planter box to...
gourdo1
Coarse Perlite for 5:1:1
Hi all, first off is "coarse" the correct...
halocline
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™