How to get rid of indoor insects attracted to plants

June K.April 14, 2014

I recently moved to a new apartment with great light and have been buying indoor potted plants, including edible herbs. What is a natural way to get rid of insects that are attracted to my plants? Diatomaceous earth maybe? I was planning to buy DE for my compost pail, anyway, but am not sure how to use it for plants. I think DE needs to be kept dry to be effective, so I shouldn't use it on the soil due to watering. None of my plants require misting. Can I dust the plants with DE, or will that hurt the plants themselves? Fyi I have (so far) daffodils, gardenias, a bunch of edible herbs and a few other flowering plants.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brit5467(7b/8a Coastal VA)

I don't have an answer but am just curious. Do u already have insects.....or r u just being preventive? Because with all the various houseplants I have, I've never had any sort of insect problem. I know that it's best to inspect plants before buying and before bringing in house. And weather permitting, I sometimes give 'em a good spray with the hose before bringing 'em in, bit not always.

Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 8:29AM
June K.

Hi Brit, it's a bit of both. I have been noticing more bugs and I remember getting bugs when I got houseplants in the past. Honestly, I wouldn't go out of my way to get rid of a few bugs, but I'm going to buy some diatomaceous earth anyway. I will spray down the plants that can get wet to see if it helps. Any other advice, using DE or not, would be appreciated, too. Thanks, all!

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 1:01PM
gardengal48

It is important to identify exactly what the insect pests are. DE is only effective on certain types, whereas insecticidal soap or neem oil may be more appropriate with sucking insects. And if fungus gnats, you may not need any insecticide at all but to back off on the watering and layer on some coarse sand.

But proper ID is paramount before specific suggestions can be made.

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 2:22PM
June K.

Gardengal, that makes absolute sense. I'm not familiar with insects other than fruit flies. Do you have any advice on how I can familiarize myself with potential pests so I can identify the ones we have?

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 2:26PM
woohooman

What gardengal said.

As far as I.D. for pests, get really good with a camera and take pics. Then post them in the Garden Clinic forum. They'll usually have an answer.

Kevin

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 3:51PM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

My plants are all move to outside. I just had Fungus Gnat problem. At the suggestion of friend at Hot peppers forum, I used Mosquito Dunk and it worked for me.

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 7:52PM
June K.

Kevin, that's a great idea! I'll do this.

Bookmark   April 17, 2014 at 10:52AM
More Discussions
anything you wanted to talk about vii - prolly mostly ot
I guess I didn't realize the last thread was about...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
Wicking more water retentive soils
I was wondering what the disadvantages are when using...
Jacques (MP, South Africa) S
Soil for elephant ear plant?
I'm getting ready to plant an elephant ear plant in...
bunky_mi
fertilizing cuttings ?
Hello - I have some fig cuttings in 60% perlite/40%...
briana_2006
CONTAINER SOILS - WATER MOVEMENT and RETENTION XXII
Hello! Houzz's new format has presented some challenges,...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
Sponsored Products
Ava Rug 8' x 10' - DARK BROWN
$6,429.00 | Horchow
Solar Powered Paper Globe Lantern LED String Light Set
$14.98 | Lamps Plus
Korver Leather Bench - Brighton Polinesia Blue
Joybird Furniture
Safavieh Indoor/ Outdoor Courtyard Grey/ Beige Rug (2'4 x 14')
Overstock.com
White as Snow Lounge Chair
| Dot & Bo
Heavy CandlEnergy Saving 18 Light Island Pendant -Rubbed Oil Bronze
$473.10 | Bellacor
Lydia White Leather and Chrome Chairs - Set of 2 - 238386
$283.99 | Hayneedle
Safavieh Amherst Indoor/ Outdoor Anthracite/ Ivory Rug (8' x 10')
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™