How Often Do I Water . . .?

joraines(7 Upstate SC)April 8, 2013

Seeking the advice of container gardening experts. I have a tiered metal planter with the main planting basket about four feet high and about 16" across. I lined it with cocoa fiber, filled it with Miracle Gro potting soil and planted a pink geranium (the annual type), white Bacopa and purple petunias. I have it placed beside our goldfish pond. How often should I water it as it will be affected more by heat and drying air since it is a raised basket? Weekly? Bi- or thrice- weekly? Thank you to anyone who will advise. I have mainly stuck with perennials in the ground so container annuals are a new gardening foray for me.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)

I use el-cheapo bamboo ka-bob skewers to test my containers to see if they need watering. Stick skewer into container and if see if it comes out damp or dry. Usually about $1 for a package of skewers.

Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 12:14PM
joraines(7 Upstate SC)

Good idea! Thank you for the suggestion! I appreciate it.

Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 1:23PM
Ohiofem(6a Ohio)

My hanging baskets with those plants are 14-16 inches in diameter and maybe 8-10 inches deep, lined with coir. They need watering every other day when the plants are full grown in mid summer. If when you say they are four feet high you mean they are four feet above the ground, then I would guess they are similar to mine. I just stick my finger in an inch or so and water if the soil feels dry. You can use a skewer, but the coir lined planters drain so well that you are at little risk of overwatering. When in doubt, I water. They will wilt fast if they're thirsty.

Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 10:11PM
joraines(7 Upstate SC)

I feel like, as you say, it would be difficult to over-water and yes, this wire planter basket is four feet off the ground so will not only 'air' out but will suffer from heat in the hot summer. I plan to take a pic today when I head back down to mulch and weed again. We have a wedding reception here on our farm in three weeks so I have to do what I can to get everything looking as pretty as possible!

Bookmark   April 9, 2013 at 7:46AM
More Discussions
new container gardener
I have decided to plant in containers this year, I...
mary grether
Miniature rose plant..
Got this from nursery yesterday .. But something is...
amriteanukul112
CONTAINER SOILS - WATER MOVEMENT and RETENTION XXII
Hello! Houzz's new format has presented some challenges,...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
Culinary Herbs?
I need to buy some culinary herbs. Where is the best...
sharbear50
Can a peat based mix be used for 2 seasons?
Hello - Considering compaction, etc can a peat based...
briana_2006
Sponsored Products
WallsNeedLove Fall Ferns Self-Adhesive Wallpaper Multicolor - WP36-8FT
$66.00 | Hayneedle
Luli Sanchez Yellow Medallion Throw Yellow
Grandin Road
Tremont Grey 84 x 42-Inch Blackout Grommet Window Curtain Single Panel
$34.99 | Bellacor
Monarch Specialties I 8723BK Black Bonded Leather Sofa
Beyond Stores
Campaign Outdoor Dining Chair Cushion, Patio Furniture
$241.00 | FRONTGATE
Knight Chair - Lucky Turquoise Blue
Joybird Furniture
P652 Pendant by George Kovacs
$230.00 | Lumens
Ripples´┐Ż Oval:5 Ft. 4 In. x 7 Ft. 8 In. Oval Rug Kid Essentials - Teen Area Rug
$335.95 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™