Wood chips in mulch-

colokid(5)April 24, 2011

This is a hard question to answer without seeing the actual stuff. I have ground up my yard clean up which is mostly half rotted leave, but with some small branches and sticks mixed in. I did it to use as mulch around plant. Can I use this to supplement my other mixture, like a layer in the bottom of the large pot or raised bed? The leaves are pretty well decomposed, it is the wood that worries me.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

It's much more valuable as a mulch than as a part of a container soil or a layer in your container. I would avoid using it in my soils for various reasons.

AL

Bookmark   April 24, 2011 at 11:44AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

Once a year I rent a commercial chipper($300 a day)and run a years worth of the "slag" or wood too small for firewood. I arrange this job when a grandson is visiting. This chipped wood I add to a sausage shaped pile. When I need mulch I take it from oldest end of the pile, which is partially composted from the rain. Being wood chips it lasts about two years as mulch spread over the garden, before it needs being renewed. It does wonders for the garden, but I never use it on my containers. Al

Bookmark   April 24, 2011 at 10:16PM
More Discussions
CONTAINER SOILS - WATER MOVEMENT and RETENTION XXII
Hello! Houzz's new format has presented some challenges,...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
Meyer Exploding in 5-1-1
My meyer lemon in 5-1-1 is just going nuts right now....
Jay Part Shade (Zone 10B, S21, Los Angeles)
Question about too much dryness in my container garden
I have several Behlen food-grade stocktanks (1x2x6)...
catherinet
Pine Bark Fines Substitute?
I'm having trouble finding pine bark fines for the...
johnweh
Al and others..Foliage Pro fertilizer?
I just wanted to get an update on what you think of...
meyermike_1micha
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™