Shady side container idea

paulsiu(5a)April 14, 2012

My patio has a sunny side and a shade side. The sunny side is currently a minature rose, lilies, and ranunculus. I am trying to figure out what to put on the shady side.

One idea would be to design around an elephant ear using a big pot with an elephant ear and a group of other plants, but after some reading, it appears that the elephant ear root would probably fill up the entire pot, so I should use a separate pot for the ears.

Any idea of some sort of grouping? Wouldn't the elephant ear make the yard look unbalanced due to its size?

Paul

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rina_

Paul

I would probably plant some fern (maidenhair, Japanese painted, Ghost - not any of the really huge ones); Japanese golden grass (Hakonechloa macra 'Aureola') or blood grass (Imperata cylindrica); creeping Jenny (Lysimachia nummularia 'Aurea'); Siberian Bugloss (Brunnera macrophylla 'Jack Frost' or 'Looking Glass' or any other depending on color combo you want); black mondo grass (Ophiopogon planiscapus 'Nigrescens'). So many more possibilituies - really depends on the overall look&color combo you like.

I personally like something trailing from the container, and balance/contrast the size & shape of leaves. Elephant ear could grow large if given optimum conditions, but hard to judge what is balanced/unbalanced for your situation: size of your display area-container, and many other variables.

Rina

Bookmark   April 14, 2012 at 10:10AM
More Discussions
Need advice for container garden for elderly woman
I have a question on container gardening for an elderly...
sharonkdr
Meyer Exploding in 5-1-1
My meyer lemon in 5-1-1 is just going nuts right now....
Jay Part Shade (Zone 10B, S21, Los Angeles)
Long Term Potting Mix Recipe - Alternative to Gritty Mix
Hi everyone, I'm a new gardener from Perth, Western...
arcan
Al and others..Foliage Pro fertilizer?
I just wanted to get an update on what you think of...
meyermike_1micha
Coarse Perlite for 5:1:1
Hi all, first off is "coarse" the correct...
halocline
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™