Made a big mistake with 5-1-1 and need some help/advice!

captiveroots(6A)April 24, 2013

I think I made a mistake yesterday while playing with my potting soil (bet you don't hear that often!)

I decided to amend my soil from last year at a 50/50 ratio with new. Then I thought "why not try the 5-1-1 mix?" for the new 50%. I found a nice bag of perlite at home depot, a nice bale of spagnum, and what I thought was some good pine mulch. I spent a couple of hours mixing everything up at a roughly 50/50 ratio.

The problem is the pine mulch. I couldn't find exactly what is called for (the fines) so I got the smallest shreds I could find. I thought I had done my research (I certainly read the long thread on here) but I apparently had not done enough, because it turns out the stuff I got has a lot of sapwood in it (see the picture).

After reading about N being tied up by sapwood chunks, I am now worried that I ruined all of my potting mix with this pine mulch. Is there anything I can do so salvage it, or should I just find some way to get rid of a good 100 gallons of mix and start over?

I was thinking of running the mix through a screen to take out all of the pulp chunks over 1/2 inch, but that would still leave some behind. Could I get away with fertilizing a bit more and just top the containers off with a bagged potting soil? I'm hoping a saving grace is that the containers are filled with 50% old potting soil from last year.

Any tips would be appreciated! Sometimes mistakes are the best education!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
captiveroots(6A)

Here is a photo of the resulting mix

Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 9:43AM
edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)

The mix actually doesn't look too bad except for a bit of sap wood. I'd give it a shot. Do you have a seedling you could try in it? You'll know real quick if it will grow.

Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 2:59PM
captiveroots(6A)

I might try some herbs or some broccoli seedlings... maybe I'm being a bit paranoid!

I do plan on screening out all of the sapwood that I can just to be safe. Hopefully that (along with plenty of good fertilizer) will mitigate most of the issue.

Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 8:04PM
captiveroots(6A)

Well, I posted a very long blog post about my mistakes making the 5-1-1 mix and how it all turned out. In the end, after sifting out all the big chunks, I actually ended up with something that looks a lot like Miracle Grow, so it should at least work well enough with some TLC!

Here is a link that might be useful: blog post on the 5-1-1 project

Bookmark   May 3, 2013 at 2:12AM
dragonfly717(z10 Fort Myers)

great blog! I loved reading. Laughed and felt your pain. I have bags of bark, turface, etc etc sitting in my garage. I'm afraid to start. :) thanks for sharing

Jamie

Bookmark   May 4, 2013 at 2:24PM
captiveroots(6A)

Thanks Jamie! I'm one of those people who seems to learn by making these types of mistakes, but I hope I can save someone else from investing the time and energy using the wrong kind of pine!

Bookmark   May 5, 2013 at 11:06AM
More Discussions
Pop Quiz TIme: What plants are in this container?
Looks like the deep purple ones are petunias. But what...
Lisa Richter
Can a peat based mix be used for 2 seasons?
Hello - Considering compaction, etc can a peat based...
briana_2006
Container Garden Vacation Watering
I'll be leaving for my wedding at the end of June and...
meawea
Indoor vegetables and 5-1-1
I'm growing vegetables indoors in containers. Is the...
gardev
Miniature rose plant..
Got this from nursery yesterday .. But something is...
amriteanukul112
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™