Pure Kitty Litter?

VGtarApril 24, 2013

I was wondering, instead of the gritty mixes and 5:1:1, does anybody have any experience with pure kitty litter? -If the thing is to get aeration with a material that is able to quickly absorb water, then it seems like the perfect choice, and I'm wondering, why would I also need the granite, bark etc? -Too little water tension?
The Kitty Litter, I'm talking about, is high-fired Danish marine diatomite/kiselgur/moler or whatever you want to call this type of clay (10% volcanic ashes, 30% clay minerals and 60% diatom shells).

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nil13(z21 L.A., CA (Mt. Washington))

I have strawberries growing in pure turface which is calcined clay. If it's high fired it should work fine. I also have strawberries in 2:1 gravel:calcined clay, but they aren't doing as well as the straight calcined clay. But then I am in an arid environment, far more than you are. They are 'to waste' hydroponic cultures, so all the nutrients have to come from the irrigation water. I would say give it a try and if it holds too much water, add some gravel.

i have seen a study that says you should saturate the calcined clay with phosphate before use for better results. They soaked it in water with superphosphate. I haven't done this and haven't noticed a problem, but that doesn't mean a whole lot as my observations have not been rigourous.

Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 11:10AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
VGtar

Today, I tried putting a small pot (with holes in the bottom) filled with dry kitty litter into a big saucer filled with water to check it's wicking ability. I didn't expect it, but the water was actually sucked all the way up to the surface of the litter.
I think that this might actually be used in self-watering systems.

Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 5:12PM
More Discussions
new container gardener
I have decided to plant in containers this year, I...
mary grether
Culinary Herbs?
I need to buy some culinary herbs. Where is the best...
sharbear50
What to plant in 4 1/4 Gallon Food Grade Buckets?
I was recently given about 20 4 1/4 gallon food grade...
MikeinPA_Zone5b
gritty mix modification question
Sorry, I had a response to this question before but...
briana_2006
Summer Squash
Last spring/summer, I planted a summer squash that...
meawea
Sponsored Products
LBL Lighting | Vision Chandelier Head
$480.00 | YLighting
Chrome Square Triple Concealed Thermostatic Shower Valve 2 Outlets
Hudson Reed
BEBOP Log Basket by Blomus
$375.29 | Lumens
Radiax 3000K 60-Degree 21-Watt LED Black Flood Light
Lamps Plus
Rooster Handled Dripless Decanter
Classic Hostess