Corn advice

smdane05(8)February 20, 2012

I am afraid I may already know this answer, but has anyone have any success in growing corn in small spaces or advice on corn and space?

Thanks !

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
n2xjk

Once you get below about 25 plants in a 4x4 block or a couple of containers, self pollination becomes an issue. You should hand pollinate if you have a smaller amount. Otherwise you risk having very poorly developed ears of corn.

Bookmark   February 20, 2012 at 4:07PM
texandana(8a)

I wanted to do only 6 corn plants due to lack of space and the fact that I dont want 200 ears of corn at the end of the growing season. I was told very quickly that it wont work. I would go ahead and plant a large amount to ensure you get a good crop.

Bookmark   February 21, 2012 at 5:57AM
naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan(5B SW Michigan)

I've grown smaller amounts of corn with great success when I helped with pollination. Just broke off a few parts of several tassels when they were shedding pollen and gently rubbed them over the silks on the young ears. Look carefully since you want to do this when the ears are small and there may be more than one on a plant. I repeated this several times over a few weeks....basically whenever I happened to be out there and thought of it. I've seen directions detailing time of day and using pollen bags and paintbrushes but this simple method worked for me at a garden that was not at my home. The ears were well filled with kernels and the ones the raccoons didn't get tasted great!

Bookmark   February 21, 2012 at 9:37AM
More Discussions
Tomatoes in Autumn?
It's late summer, about to be autumn for me, and I...
Heather Riley
Cucumber leaves turning white
Hi, I am totally new to having any sort of garden and...
wanderess
Fertilising
Hello All, I am planning my winter crop (live in New...
bopwinter
over wintering cabbage family for second year seed
I'm interested in which cabbage family vegetables I...
matthias_lang
pepper with Brown spots
I researched about this disease and it says that a...
keyki5
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™