Starting seeds in patio containers

pippi21(Z7 Silver Spring, Md.)April 1, 2011

I live in Md. outside of DC..could I start some seeds now outside in patio containers? I was thinking about sowing some flower seeds and putting Glad Press & Seal wrap over them until they germinated. If it would drop down below freezing, I could always put some type of pot upside down during the night or a liter bottle that would still give light, kind of use it as a cloch. I was thinking portulaca, alyssum, lobelia, verbena, begonia. I saw some annuals down at home depot yesterday that were inside the garden center but looked like they may have already been hit with the cooler temps that didn't look so great. Their geraniums in large sizes looked great as did their African daisies and several others I can't recall now.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
started_with_bean(Zone 5--MA)

The method you are planning is basically wintersowing. Post this question on that forum for more experienced responses. I personally think it can be done, though I haven't used this specific method myself. But the wintersown containers I have are doing pretty well, so I would assume that this method would work. Good luck.

Bookmark   April 1, 2011 at 12:49PM
More Discussions
Help! My kumqat is dying
Hello everyone, I am hoping to get some help related...
bashchelik
RE: Introductory post-C.S-W.M&RXXI 1-27-15
Hi everyone, In my very 1st post, I described how by...
halocline
PVC liner OK for growing food?
A contractor friend of mine made me a planter box to...
gourdo1
Help! My slash pine seedlings in containers are turning yellowish
I have several hundred slash pine seedlings I put in...
Florida Native
Question about too much dryness in my container garden
I have several Behlen food-grade stocktanks (1x2x6)...
catherinet
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™