fertilizing container plants

pearsaml(6)April 24, 2011

What fertilizers do you guys use when fertilizing container plants that are already planted? I'm growing some herbs (mint, oregano), hops, and salad greens, and am soon going to be planting some tomatoes, basil, and some hot and sweet peppers. Unfortunately I couldn't come up with all of the ingredients for Al's gritty mix or the 5-1-1 :( so I'm just using some 'organic choice' scott's potting mix. Last year I used fish emulsion, and got good results with the hops, mint, oregano and chili peppers, but the yeild on the rest was pretty low.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

I have long use soluble fertilizers in a 3:1:2 ratio for almost all my container plantings. Fertilizer RATIOS are different than their NPK %s. The ratio is much more important because the actual dosage is controlled by how much fertilizer you mix into the fertigation solution. 24-8-16, 12-4-8, and 9-3-6 are all examples of 3:1:2 RATIOS. I've settled on Foliage-Pro 9-3-6 as my 'go to' fertilizer for almost everything.

The link I left below should give a broader overview of the approach many of us take for container culture. If you have questions, you can ask here or there.

AL

Here is a link that might be useful: More about fertilizing containerized plants

Bookmark   April 24, 2011 at 11:38AM
TheMasterGardener1(5B)

I know what caused the low results on the tomatos. You need CAL+MAG. You uses fish ferts alaska? Did you use bloom and veg or just veg? that could be another prob. you need the 0-10-10 that the fish fert has in it to fruit. you need the cal for your tomatos they need a ton!Also add 20% perlite or more to your soil for pots.

Bookmark   April 25, 2011 at 1:34AM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Adding Ca beyond an adequate supply isn't going to help your plants take up additional Ca. Usually, problems associated with BER are physiological, rather than chemical.

Al

Bookmark   April 25, 2011 at 3:00PM
More Discussions
gritty mix modification question
Sorry, I had a response to this question before but...
briana_2006
Miniature rose plant..
Got this from nursery yesterday .. But something is...
amriteanukul112
Reusing infested soil
Last year, my outdoor container-grown kale suffered...
SighBorg
Affordable but Good Looking Containers?
I have a few areas of my garden that are just container...
kjmm1
Wicking more water retentive soils
I was wondering what the disadvantages are when using...
Jacques
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™