Rain and containers

dirtguy50 SW MO z6a(6a)April 14, 2012

I didn't find much on this searching this forum so I hope it isn't beat to death somewhere. Curious how rain effects container gardening. I have homemade earthbox and 5 gal ones as well. Any issues to be aware of? Thanks everyone.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
squidy(8a)

None that I know of. A lot of my containers are out in the rain. It's nice because I can generally forget about watering them until the hot part of summer. It's a lot like having plants outside in the ground, really.

I guess if you just put in new soil and the rain is hard, it might throw some out of the pot or wash a little of it away, but after a while that shouldn't happen because the plant will fill in and the soil will become firmer.

Bookmark   April 14, 2012 at 12:37PM
Joe1980(5)

Too much rain has the potential to wash out nutrients, leaving your plants deficient. If you're using some type of mix with fertilizer in it, like Miracle Grow, you'd be ok, assuming you're still in the "feeds for up to 3 months" time frame. Otherwise, be careful about letting tha rain "water your plants", as the rain doesn't provide the nutrients that your plants need; that's your job.

Joe

Bookmark   April 14, 2012 at 4:55PM
dirtguy50 SW MO z6a(6a)

Thanks Joe. My mix does have some fertilizer in it and I added a row of 10-10-10 around the top that doesn't get wet from the rain. Time will tell as this is my first experience with container gardening.

Bookmark   April 14, 2012 at 11:47PM
capoman(5a)

Peat based soils can get waterlogged in the rain. 5:1:1 drains well enough, but nutrients do wash out.

Bookmark   April 15, 2012 at 6:23AM
More Discussions
Type of kale... Also, shiny metallic flakes?
Hey, my friend gave me some kale seeds from her plants...
Josie Murray
Need advice for container garden for elderly woman
I have a question on container gardening for an elderly...
sharonkdr
Help! My slash pine seedlings in containers are turning yellowish
I have several hundred slash pine seedlings I put in...
Florida Native
Apartment composting and container gardening.
Any tips or tricks using apartment compost with your...
newgardenelf
Need help identifying a few plants from a photo
Can someone please identify the plants used in this...
Merci Ava Maria
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™