Flowers for afternoon sun?

doomahxApril 4, 2013

HI!

Can anyone recommend any relatively easy to maintain colorful flowers that do ok in a container in hot afternoon sun in zone 7? Something that attracts pollinators/birds would be nice.

Last year my Marigolds seemed to do well and my geraniums did so-so but I canâÂÂt say the same for the petunias and pansies I had. They wilted pretty badly.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

Here we bird lovers plant easy to grow Agastache. The hummers love the nectar and when they go to seed, it is fascinating to watch the Gold Finches land on the seed heads and pull out the seed one by one. Al

Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 9:38AM
doomahx

Those looks great! will look into those. Thanks

Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 10:02AM
roseyd(6)

how about poppies? Nothing like bright orange happy blooms! :)

Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 1:21PM
dsb22(z7 VA)

Bumble bees loved my Blue Boa agastache last year. I also grew a few different agastaches from seed but (sadly) the blooms didn't seem as large or as bright as the Blue Boa or other named cultivars I've seen. If anyone has been really happy with one grown from seed, I'd love to know.

Other things I've used are gaura lindheimeri (the short varieties, I think I have Crimson Butterflies) and dwarf Russian sage (perovskia atriplicifolia Little Spire). Autumn joy sedum is beautiful and very tough but also attracts hover flies so might not be good right next to a door.

Not a flower, but something that looks good with all of the above is Lamb's ear (stachys). It is very humid here but the variety Helen von Stein did wonderfully for me last year in both pots and the ground.

(I'm mostly a lurker but our house faces west so this topic is near to my heart :-) )

Bookmark   April 6, 2013 at 12:47AM
noinwi

Portulaca, Moss rose, is great for afternoon sun. Flowers are small, but vivid(most photos don't do them justice) and profuse. It just keeps on blooming all season. Looks good in a hanging pot, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: images of portulaca

Bookmark   April 7, 2013 at 3:20PM
doomahx

Thanks for all of your suggestions! My wife fell in love with the blue boa agastache so that one is definitely going to make an appearance this summer. I may have room to try all of these though, we shall see!

Bookmark   April 9, 2013 at 4:47PM
More Discussions
Need advice for container garden for elderly woman
I have a question on container gardening for an elderly...
sharonkdr
Long Term Potting Mix Recipe - Alternative to Gritty Mix
Hi everyone, I'm a new gardener from Perth, Western...
arcan
Need help!..white spots on my lemon seedlings!!
I recently found white spots on the leaves of my lemon...
Kavitha Raghunath
Apartment composting and container gardening.
Any tips or tricks using apartment compost with your...
newgardenelf
meyer lemon tree leaves yellowing
I have a meyer lemon tree and I brought it in for the...
mlmib
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™