Plant markers

Nina Bagnasco PaughMarch 26, 2007

I would like to know how most of you identifly your plants? I am starting to get a good collections of several species and I purchased metal and plastic plant markers to help keep them straight. As I walk around my yard I see several markers are broken and many have come up out to the ground. They might be close to the plant I marked or not. So if you have some good ideas I would really appreciate hearing about them.

Thanks,

Nina

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

I use the metal markers as well, and poked a mini blind marker in behind them, as a double assurance in case the metal one got pulled out of the ground.

I'm like you...many have come out of the ground. The mini blind markers are clear out and laying around, and the metal markers were standing up really 'tall' after the winter.

My guess is that they heaved (just like plants) with the many freezes and thaws.

I think I will start burying the mini blind marker (just in front of the plant) and then monitor the metal markers throughout the winter...pushing them back down when the ground is thawed.

Sue

Bookmark   March 26, 2007 at 8:52AM
solstice98(9b/Orlando)

I haven't tried this yet but saw it recently and thought it was a great idea: using one of those paint pens designed for outdoor use or a permanent Sharpie-type marker, write the plant name on a small flat stone and set it next to the plant. Cool, huh?

Bookmark   April 7, 2007 at 11:49AM
sebastian(8-9)

I have used the green tie tape, write on it with a sharpie and tie it on the plant. Also have found that using a label maker and sticking the labels on the mini blinds or treated wood stakes last so much longer. The ink does not fade.

Other ideas:
writing on a little flower pot and hanging it from clothes hanger wire.
mapping out your flower beds with names exact locations.
keep a database of all you plants with a column for location.
I like the stone idea too.
Barbie

Bookmark   May 2, 2007 at 10:02PM
More Discussions
Golden Weeping Willow
I'm looking for a bundle of Golden Weeping Willow cuttings....
johnmcafee_99
WANTED colocasia pinapple princess
Lost this one a few years ago and it seems to have...
miketropic
Wanted snow drops for clematis
I have some extra clematis that I bought and would...
KarenPA_6b
WANT: Hippeastrum pardinum
Hello, I am looking for Hippeastrum pardinum bulb or...
papillonmina
Have: grape hyacinth bulbs
I got these from mail order as a free gift. I allready...
tamela_star
Sponsored Products
Fosters Point Planter With Grass Yucca Bamboo
Beyond Stores
7 LED Silicone Bicycle Light
Super Bright LEDs
Park Avenue Chandelier by Trend Lighting
$1,550.00 | Lumens
Vondom | Moma Low Planter Illuminated
YLiving.com
Small Echeveria Set
$11.99 | zulily
Campania International Cumberland Square Planter - Set of 4 - Lead Lite Multicol
Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™