Rooting Powder

dancingmoonsMarch 29, 2006

I bought some rooting powder at Lowe's last year, and have yet to use it!...Has anyone tried it, and if so what type of plants does it work well on??...Do you think it would work on roses?? and after you stick the cutting in the powder, do you just stick it in potting soil, or something else? Seems i remember my aunt using it, and putting her cuttings into something but it wasnt soil.

any help would be appreciated :)

Thank you & Blue Skies!!

Trish

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
remy_gw

Hi Trish,
Yes, it works good for roses. I've done it before. I just stick them in a pot on my porch which get only morning sun. I usually put 2 in a pot in case one doesn't take. Oh, and I should say I stick a pencil in the soil to make a hole first so the rooting hormone doesn't all wipe off as I stick the rose in. I keep the pot moist but not wet. Some people do more elaborate set ups, but what I do works fine. I guess there are a few roses that are harder to root than others, but in general they take pretty easy. Rose suckers, from antique roses like Gallicas, are really easy and often don't even need rooting hormone.
Remy

Bookmark   March 29, 2006 at 2:13PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
irish_rose_grower(z7 LI NY)

HI Trish. Remy gave you good advice. I stink at rooting things -- so I always add the rooting powder, I need all the help I can get :-)

Bookmark   March 29, 2006 at 8:33PM
More Discussions
HAVE: Alocasia borneo giant
I am hoping to trade for edibles, tropical fruit or...
keiki
WANTED: omphalodes cappadocia 'Starry Eyes"
Would love to have this in small plant form/piece of...
Patty57
HAVE: Succulents and Cactus
Looking for different succulents and cactus, cuttings...
katts380
Check out my updated trade list
I do prefer to do large trades if trading plants but...
rozenkruetz
Wanted: Woodland fern cuttings
Looking for woodland fern, lady in red, any ferns that...
dawnkelsch13
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™