Soil heating "spikes" for potted plants

giomanApril 24, 2014

Hi,

There are mnany sources for heating cables so why not soil heater spikes of some sort? I can buy bucket heaters of many types, heaters to warm water in a coffee cup but heat "spikes" to warm or at least keep from freezing the soil in large potted plants outdoors are not on the market anywhere. I had several potted plants including rhododendrons on my deck and several either died or look like they will due to the 2 degree winter this past year. From what I read most should have survived the cold but they didn�t. Perhaps if they had been in the ground instead of pots they would have.

I hope someone has some thoughts on this heat spike idea especially if they know of a source.

Thank you

Keith

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
spaceman13(6b)

I have a product called Flex-watt (it is used in radiant heat in floors, and has been bastardised for use in heating reptile enclosures)

I overwintered a Russelia that wound up dying back to 2 stems and the roots. In desperation I wrapped the pot in in a 12" piece of the flex watt, and it recovered and is coming back nicely.

The Flex-Watt itself is relatively inexpensive, but make sure you use a thermostat as the flex-watt can reach as high as 110 degrees F/ 43.3 C

Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 2:15PM
gioman

Thank you spaceman13 for the info. If I can get any kind of a positive reply concerning outdoor use from the Bean Farm, I will give this interesting heat tape a try.

Again, thanks.

keith

Bookmark   April 25, 2014 at 1:12PM
gioman

Thank you spaceman13 for the info. If I can get any kind of a positive reply concerning outdoor use from the Bean Farm, I will give this interesting heat tape a try.

Again, thanks.

keith

Bookmark   April 29, 2014 at 9:23AM
calistoga_al

I made my own bottom heater from cables made for keeping rain gutters from freezing. You will still need buy a thermostat to maintain the temperature. Al

Bookmark   April 29, 2014 at 10:38AM
More Discussions
Help! My slash pine seedlings in containers are turning yellowish
I have several hundred slash pine seedlings I put in...
George Spector
Container garden help wanted, re: corn
I am wanting to try something new with my container...
klo12
Cor-ten planters safe for growing edibles?
I'd like to grow some edibles but the best sun is in...
midwestgal67
Need advice for container garden for elderly woman
I have a question on container gardening for an elderly...
sharonkdr
Any issues planting in copper pots?
I have some old copper containers I want to use for...
garden_dogs
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™