Ever regretted Bishops weed

llbean(z5 MI)April 30, 2007

Hi. I am getting ready to make a trade for some var. bishops weed.. I was told by a very nice woman that it is a bad choice due to the invasiveness. Is this a common problem?

Laura

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

I have read 'bad' things about it, but was noticing at a friends house yesterday (where I mow) that hers is just not doing well. She has had it for years, and I was hoping to maybe get some starts when hers 'took off' as I've read about.

My guess would be that it would just depend upon how well it liked where it was planted, and/ or how much room you gave it, or wanted it to fill.

I've always liked the looks of it in mass plantings shown on gardening shows...where everything is just perfect.

Sue

Bookmark   May 1, 2007 at 7:05AM
luvsgrtdanes

It's a wonderful plant on it's own but be prepared for it to take over if you put it in a bed. I pull half of mine out every spring. It's pretty but I wish I wouldn't have put it where I did! It makes a great ground cover or erosion stopper, just not a good specimen plant in my opinion..

Bookmark   May 2, 2007 at 3:46PM
shadyplaces

It's a great spreader. I had it on the north side of a home several years ago, and in two years it beautifully filled the entire bed. Fortunately that bed was surrounded by sidewalk.

Now that I am doing gardening professionally, I just completed a job last week that included containing it. She had it planted in a shady area, and it had expanded so much that we had to reclaim a 35 foot long strip of lawn, about two feet wide. This wasn't cheap for her since I had to dig, and break up all the clumps of soil to remove ALL the runners. Even a tiny piece of root, will sprout. To hopefully contain it, we installed a sturdy barrier edging that you pound into the ground. I put it 5 inches deep. Hopefully, that will at least slow BW down.

BW spreads by underground runners, VERY prolifically, especially in shade and moist soil.

It is lovely, but be certain you can contain it.

Bookmark   May 6, 2007 at 12:01PM
wishnforspring(z5 Upstate NY)

BAd, Bad,plant!!

Bookmark   June 21, 2007 at 12:29PM
newhostaaddict

came with the house....

back in 1979...

STILL trying to get RID of it...

jill

Bookmark   July 24, 2007 at 2:49PM
More Discussions
HAVE: Arisaema proboscideum (mouse plant)
These Arisaema proboscideum had multiplied so much...
bunnynomnom
WANTED colocasia pinapple princess
Lost this one a few years ago and it seems to have...
miketropic
HAVE: Raspberry & Blackberry bareroot to a good home
I need to clear an area that is covered with healthy...
tomato345
WANTED: Blueberry plants, Cuttings or Offsets
I am looking for named blueberry plants or offsets...
cactuspaul Tulsa zone7
HAVE: Alocasia borneo giant
I am hoping to trade for edibles, tropical fruit or...
keiki
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™