511tomatoes, can I use tomato tone? (pic)

rakin(7b)April 8, 2014

Okay, how are my tomatoes looking to you all? (Roma's and peppers on the right) I am using the 511 mix exactly per the original version with osmocote for my CRF. These are my first tomatoes, so I don't know if my excitement is warranted.
Anyway, I have a bag of TT that I would love to not waste. I know it is suppose to be for soil and not soilless medium, but is there a way to make it useful? Can I mix it with water similar to making a tea, and then use it? What if I top dress the toms with worm castings and mix the TT in with it. Will that allow it to break down?
I am about to move them to their final container! Yeah, I did it! ( well, so far...)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jay Part Shade (Zone 10B, S21, Los Angeles)

For sure, I use Espoma, Dr Earth and Jobe's with my 5-1-1 container plants and they seem to love it. The other beneficials will help the plants as well, not just the organic fertilizer. Just because the container mix doesn't have dirt doesn't mean it's not a hotbed for organic microbe activity. I've repotted some of my tomatoes and found huge mycorhizzae colonies in the 5-1-1 mix.

Bookmark   April 8, 2014 at 1:15PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

They look great. Go for it!

Josh

Bookmark   April 8, 2014 at 11:13PM
rakin(7b)

Okay. I guess the worst that can happen is nothing. But if you all have tried it and gotten results then I'll give it a go!

Bookmark   April 9, 2014 at 12:48AM
Ohiofem(6a Ohio)

I have used Tomatotone with my tomatoes, eggplants and peppers for three seasons with 5-1-1 and think it works well. I used Osmocote in making the 5-1-1 and used Foliage pro alternating with TT through much of the season. The TT is especially useful when we have a lot of rain and I don't want to add extra water with fertilizer. Follow the package directions and scratch it into the surface. Don't try to dissolve it in water. It's not meant to be used that way.

Bookmark   April 10, 2014 at 1:10AM
More Discussions
RE: Introductory post-C.S-W.M&RXXI 1-27-15
Hi everyone, In my very 1st post, I described how by...
halocline
Pine Bark Fines Substitute?
I'm having trouble finding pine bark fines for the...
johnweh
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soils
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soilscolor>size> A...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
Container gardening
My clivia, 20-30 yr old lives in a pot, maybe 15 gal....
josephene_gw
Buckeye re-potting - Trees in Containers (pics)
Hello and good afternoon, container gardeners! California...
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™