First post here - freezproof conatiners?

bill_ri_z6b(Zone 6B)April 20, 2012

I'm in New England - RI zone 6 - and it gets cold in winter! Does anyone know of a TRULY FREEZEPROOF (not "frostproof" as some are lableled) that can actually be left out in really cold (down to zero F - ground frozen solid, snow, ice, etc.) all winter, with the soil still inside? I know ceramics are out of the question, and most of the fiberglass I have tried are really junk, and don't even last well when I empty them. I use some ceramic planters that I empty and tip upside down in winter and they are fine, but I want some really large planters, and so that would be almost impossible to do with large ceramic ones......to empty them and lay on their sides or whatever.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mrlike2u(**)

Hyper tufa

Bookmark   April 20, 2012 at 7:52PM
Ohiofem(6a Ohio)

Half whiskey barrels are on sale at our local home depot for $29. They hold about 27 gallons of potting mix. I have used one for vegetables for several years. You do have to add several drainage holes because the wood will swell when it gets wet. Mine has held up well for about five years. It probably would last a lot longer if you used some kind of sealant on it. You could paint the outside if you don't like the weathered wood look. I do change out at least half the soil mix each year. I have grown watermelon in it for the last few years. They did very well.

Bookmark   April 22, 2012 at 4:54PM
bill_ri_z6b(Zone 6B)

Ohiofem,
I have used one in the past, but they just don't fit the landscape anymore. I was really looking for something that looks more like stone or ceramic. The previous poster mentioned the hyper tufa, but I haven't found anywhere to buy large ones. I see smaller ones for sale, otherwise instructions on how to make your own which is impossible for me to do. Thanks for your suggestion though!

Bookmark   April 23, 2012 at 6:27AM
More Discussions
Type of kale... Also, shiny metallic flakes?
Hey, my friend gave me some kale seeds from her plants...
Josie Murray
Potting into Air Pots, root length question
Hello all, My question is, air pots are supposed to...
stickstring (Northern California 8b)
Pine Bark Fines Substitute?
I'm having trouble finding pine bark fines for the...
johnweh
PVC liner OK for growing food?
A contractor friend of mine made me a planter box to...
gourdo1
My New Raised Container Garden - Thanks for all the Help
This is really more of a conversational post. No real...
Cliff Pruitt
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™