Best Tasting Sweet Potato

pappabell(6)February 16, 2014

What is everybodys favorite Sweet Potato to grow,and why? I`m in zone 6............

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
JCTsai(8B - Jacksonville, FL)

Have you heard of Purple fleshed sweet potato? I will try to find some to grow.

Bookmark   February 16, 2014 at 3:22PM
wertach zone 7-B SC

I like the Georgia Jet Sweet Potatoes. They do well here and have a great taste.

Here is a link that might be useful: GA Jets

Bookmark   February 16, 2014 at 4:42PM
elisa_z5

I like Vardaman best for flavor, and they also have a bush habit rather than vining, so they're easier to cover to protect from deer (and they take up less space)

The only one I know not to bother with is Beauregard -- I personally don't like the flavor much, and others here have said the same.

Bookmark   February 16, 2014 at 7:20PM
pappabell(6)

Right now going with Red Wine Velvet and O-henry,But Dads favorite is Georgia Jet like wertach stated.

Bookmark   February 16, 2014 at 8:32PM
pappabell(6)

Trying to find Brazil White and Camote Morado(purple)slips,plants,But no luck yet...........

Bookmark   February 16, 2014 at 8:36PM
pappabell(6)

Considering Vardaman too,Like elisa said............Since my plans were to plant one 50 foot row next to the herb garden,The Vardamans would go well with the O-Henrys.

This post was edited by pappabell on Sun, Feb 16, 14 at 20:57

Bookmark   February 16, 2014 at 8:40PM
pappabell(6)

The reason I don't really want to grow the Georgia Jets is because they grow too big and too far away from the plant.O-Henrys and Vardamans grow mainly right under the plant.Great taste and less space.I have 2 1/2 acres,But don't like my gardens to be out of control.......

Bookmark   February 16, 2014 at 9:05PM
pappabell(6)

Thinking about Brinkley Whites also

Bookmark   February 16, 2014 at 9:14PM
pappabell(6)

Keep the comments coming in,But right now thinking I will do 10 feet of O-Henrys,10 feet of Brinkley Whites,10 feet of Red Wine Velvets,and 20 feet of Vardamans.

Bookmark   February 16, 2014 at 9:23PM
sunnibel7 Md 7(7)

My favorite is one that is variously called Japanese or Korean Purple. Red-purple skin, creamy flesh with a nicely nutty flavor and drier flesh. But I'll like any sweet potato you put infront of me with some salt and butter.

Bookmark   February 17, 2014 at 11:38AM
wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana

I love the O'Henry when it is candied.

Bookmark   February 17, 2014 at 12:43PM
pappabell(6)

Have been thinking of a purple one also sunnibel 7

Bookmark   February 17, 2014 at 5:33PM
planatus(6)

Nancy Hall needs to be added to this list. It is a "yellow" sweet potato grown for flavor.

The purples need plenty of heat to do well, you may not want to push your luck with them if you are north of Zone 7.

I would not dismiss Beauregard and Covington. They make fine crops in a wide range of growing situations, resist diseases, store well and taste like a sweet potato should. I think their quality is much better than Georgia Jet, which will lunker if you get an early summer heat wave.

Bookmark   February 18, 2014 at 8:43AM
pappabell(6)

Thanks planatus,With such a wide variety,its hard to come up with a few to plant a 50 foot row

Bookmark   February 18, 2014 at 8:55AM
sunnibel7 Md 7(7)

Maybe you already know this, but there is a difference between the "purple" I mentioned, which does fine in zone 7 (here) and others which are purple-fleshed. The purple-fleshed ones are those that need more heat. The one(s) I like are sometimes called Korean or Japanese Red also.

I like the purple-purple ones too, but they don't keep well so I've never been too interested in growing them. I pick them up occassionally at the Asain market instead.

Bookmark   February 18, 2014 at 10:28AM
pappabell(6)

Has anybody heard of or grown one called Becca`s Purple?Only see it in one website........

Bookmark   February 24, 2014 at 6:51PM
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)

I really like the purple ones. To me, they are sweeter and have more flavor. Also, they are keeping much better than the orange ones ( comparing them to Vardman, Centenial, Bunch PortoRico and Beauregard all stored in the same room). Generally speaking the purples ones are smaller around and a little longer. However, I didn't have my soil prepared the way I wanted to last year and I am hopeful that this year I will do a better job of that.

The picture is of a purple sweet potato pie before I put it in the oven. It is all natural color and that is hard for some people to believe!

I am increasing my purple sweet potato planting to over 500 slips this year. No one grows them around here and I have the niche market for them at our Farmers markets. I will also be increasing my orange slips to about 500-600. Mostly Beauregard, but I will continue planting the other varieties, just to keep back potato for slip production.

Jay

This post was edited by jrslick on Mon, Feb 24, 14 at 20:11

Bookmark   February 24, 2014 at 8:01PM
featherhoof(zone 9)

I just found this thread, saw the purple pie. I have to have one of my own now, so I just ordered 12 purple sweet potato plants online.

Bookmark   March 11, 2014 at 10:33AM
jeanwedding(6 ky)

wow yall,
I have been growing them in 3 ft square wooden bins. for like three or four years now,,,,,,, bottom layer is hardware cloth to keep out the voles etc,,, also there are ground hogs here
Plus adopted outside stray cat, tries to use them as litter boxes, so I had to put fencing over them and sometimes use screens too over the bins when newly planted etc...
I presently supposedly to have now Royal jewel, and something called Tennessee something, probably Beauregard
I grew some of my slips .yesterday planted more of them in my bins
only thing I use on my sweets ,to eat is coconut oil, organic that is. baked in the oven and sliced in big slices.. Peeled of course. I even give some regular sweet potatoes to my chickens...
Lots of flea market pot slips no one knows the names or kind sometimes.
I bake a corning ware full at a time of plain baked ones... and store them in refrigerator and eat them cold...
Candying any of them is blasphemy, LOL

Bookmark   June 2, 2014 at 1:39PM
More Discussions
Worth time and supplies to plant old seeds?
I have seeds ranging from one year to probably about...
malkar
nibbler of artichokes and broccoli
Hi, All, I recently moved from NJ to CA and am faced...
emmers_m
What's the best way to fertilize/enrich a large garden plot?
I have a community garden I'm working on with over...
srj19
Romaine Lettuce help
So I plant 3 sets of 3 romaine plants about 2 1/2 weeks...
robbversion1
Who uses hog/cattle panels for Tomato Trellis? Need some advice
Hello, I'm close to going with some kind of livestock...
srj19
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™