Are mum plants too fragile to ship?

smtigger(z6PA)May 25, 2006

I am going to seperate my hardy mum plant shoots that came from the main plant. I don't want to plant them some other place, but I don't want to throw them out. Would they be okay mailed or are they too fragile that they would not make it from shock. They have a lot of roots and are very healthy. I would send them priority mail if they can be shipped and I would wrap the roots, is there anything else I should do or would I be better off finding local people to get them?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sunshine98(Z8 TX)

Smtigger,
I just did the same thing with my mums. If you are mailing right away you could do it, but if you're not and still want to separate them I would suggest to pot them up until the trade goes through. Either way, they are more hardy than they look. They will make it through your trade all right. If you're still worried about them not making it I'd go one step further and sprinkle the roots with root hormone powder (or you can also use liquid hormone or starter) if you have some prior to wrapping the roots in damp paper towel and baggie. They are tough little plants though. Hope this helps. I'd trade you for them, but what little I had ended up fried unless you are looking for more mums....LOL!!!
Good-luck!! Thank-you
Sincerely and respectfully,
sunshine98

Bookmark   May 26, 2006 at 4:53AM
More Discussions
Good news! Trade lists are back!
If you check a member's profile page, you will see...
Tamara
Check out my updated trade list
I do prefer to do large trades if trading plants but...
rozenkruetz
2nd annual 'Shovel Prune' plant swap Portland, OR area)
Just wanted remind people to start thinking about,...
duane456
WANTED: Weeping Willow Cuttings...trade/or pay for postage
Need a few cuttings that I can start and grow in Zone...
happytomato2008
Wanted grape cuttings, fruit scions Have raspberries, blackberries,etc
I am looking for seedless table grape cuttings that...
bemonkey Zone 7 South New Jersey
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™