how long do these bulbs take ?

debraq(z7LI*NY)May 15, 2006

I bought calla lilys, sweet autumn clematis, tuberose and caladiumn bulbs from the Home Depot and planted them in washed containers with potting mix that is also good for seed starting about three weeks ago. I placed bird netting over the tops to keep out the squirrels and have kept them moist but not over-watered. I see no growth at all. They are in all day sun, in the driveway, facing the west. Do you think they'll ever grow or should I take them back to HD? All in all it was about $25 that I could def. use for other things. I hate to think that they maybe rotted. What should I do? Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Debra

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yelena

Home Depot has return policy on sold potted plants - 1 year, with store refund issued for the paid amount. If you bought bulbs and planted them - there is no refund. You only could return bulbs in unopened package. Just wait a little bit longer, may be they just need more time.

Bookmark   May 17, 2006 at 9:36PM
jaceysgranny(7aAR)

The bulbs usually don't emerge until it begins to warm up and stay warmer for a little while. I'm in Zone 7a and my Callas and tuberoses have only been peeping out for a couple of weeks. Clematis are different to me than any other plant. I've planted about 7 or 8 and finally got 3 to grow. One I planted last year is just about a foot long and my other two have been blooming for weeks already. It takes them sometimes 2 or more years to really get to going. If it doesn't come up at all that will be different. For more information on bulbs there is a Bulb Forum on GW which would be really helpful to you.

Nancy

Bookmark   May 18, 2006 at 7:49PM
debraq(z7LI*NY)

Oh, Thank you both so much for all the info. I will definitely go and check it out. And I'll be a bit more patient. I didn't know HD doesn't give refunds for bulbs. Rats, but only if they don't come up. I'll keep hoping!
Deb :)

Bookmark   May 19, 2006 at 10:08PM
More Discussions
HAVE: VooDoo Lily ~ S. Venosum Corms
Please reply here or email me at gaffenstein@gmail.com The...
dethcheez
WANTED: Rue, wild ginger (trade or postage)
I'm looking for some rue (particularly Meadow Rue/...
david883
Wanted snow drops for clematis
I have some extra clematis that I bought and would...
KarenPA_6b
Wanted: Iris
I am addicted to Iris and will gladly pay postage for...
lynnthegardener
Wanted: Rooted fig cutting or cuttings
Well, I guess this past harsh winter did my fig plants...
plantsforever
Sponsored Products
Linen Paintable Wallpaper
Grandin Road
Designers Fountain 1257M Decorative Flushmount Medium Flushmount - 1257M-WH-AL
$23.50 | Hayneedle
Marissa Rug 10' x 14' - LT BROWN/DARK
$7,699.00 | Horchow
Diamond Turkish Cotton Bath Sheet
Grandin Road
Indoor Ceiling Fans: Hunter Windspan 52 in. Brushed Nickel Ceiling Fan 20174
Home Depot