potted blueberries with strawberries?

mrssimsApril 8, 2011

Hello everyone! I came here to check on my potted blueberry plant and its soil requirements and have gotten some great advice on lots of things just by reading. Thanks! I do have a quick question, though. My potted blueberry is in a very large pot made of some lightweight material. I am planning on getting one or 2 more tonight as it looks like I may need more than one to ensure pollination. I have a bunch of strawberry plants someone gave me....could I tuck them in the same planters as the blueberries? Has anyone ever done this before?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greentiger87

I'm sure you've already read this, but blueberries have particularly stringent pH requirements... much lower than most other crops and slightly lower than strawberries (though there's more room for error with strawberries).

Also, considering the way strawberries grow and spread, its probably not a great idea to combine then with a haphazard bush like most blueberries. They need plenty of sun as well, and won't like being shaded out by the blueberry bush.

Bookmark   April 8, 2011 at 7:10PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mrssims

Ah, I always forget about the shade issue in the early spring when things are not leafed out. Yeah, probably not a good idea!! Thank you!

Bookmark   April 10, 2011 at 10:56AM
More Discussions
meyer lemon tree leaves yellowing
I have a meyer lemon tree and I brought it in for the...
mlmib
zone 9 or so best roses for containers
what are your best roses for container gardening
zippity1
Pine Bark Fines Substitute?
I'm having trouble finding pine bark fines for the...
johnweh
Help! My kumqat is dying
Hello everyone, I am hoping to get some help related...
bashchelik
Need help!..white spots on my lemon seedlings!!
I recently found white spots on the leaves of my lemon...
Kavitha Raghunath
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™