how deep to plant transplants

nindyckFebruary 28, 2009

I know when transplanting tomatoes you can, and it is even recomended, to plant them up to their first leaves when transplanting. Does anyone know if planting other veggies like this is recomended?

Specifically Brussels sprouts.

Thanks

NINDYICK

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana

Generally it is a good practice to set transplants a tad deeper. This helps to insure that they not dry out too easily and also protects against wind damage. I would not bury most transplants into the leaves including the cabbage family.

Bookmark   February 28, 2009 at 12:41PM
nindyck

So alittle deeper wont hurt? Tomatoes will root out of their stems. Do you know what other plants do this?

Thank you

Bookmark   February 28, 2009 at 12:48PM
gardenlen(s/e qld aust)

g'day wayne,

as tomato's will grow roots from up the stem, to get a stronger plant after transplant and to encourage more root growth, i pinch off the first and lowest juvenile leaves if they are still on the plant and then plant burying up to 3/4 of the length of the stem.

len

Here is a link that might be useful: lens garden page

Bookmark   February 28, 2009 at 1:40PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

A general rule of thumb - very general - is if the plant branches from the main stem, plant it deeply. If it branches from the root ball like leafy greens do, don't. There are exceptions of course (when aren't there?). But I always stick even my lettuces and spinach just a bit deeper for best results.

Root crops like carrots, beets, and onions are shallow planted if you used transplants for some reason.

Dave

Bookmark   February 28, 2009 at 2:45PM
bagardens (Ohio, Zone 5b)

I always transplant all my plants as deep as they need to be, if they are a little leggy. I have done this with brussels sprouts also. For some reason brussels sprouts, broccoli and cauliflower tend to get a little leggy when I grow them. I start all my seeds in flats and transplant them into their own pots, when they get big enough. Whenever I transplant them in their own pots I plant them however deep they need to be, and have never had a problem. Just plant them as deep as they need, they should be fine.

Bookmark   February 28, 2009 at 2:53PM
thepodpiper

Peppers as well will grow roots from thier stems, so plant them deep.

Dale

Bookmark   March 1, 2009 at 12:20AM
brass_tacks(8b/GA)

What about beans? Can I transplant them up to their leaves? I have some in 4" pots with stems at least 4" high.

Also, should I pinch them to make them bushier. Where do I pinch?

Bookmark   March 1, 2009 at 5:37AM
dave_f1 SC, USDA Zone 8a(7b)

I don't think many would advise to transplant beans at all. The common practice is to direct seed beans since they hate to have their roots disturbed in any way. Plus they germinate quickly in warm soil. But if you already have transplants...I don;t know, I wonder that myself.

Bookmark   March 1, 2009 at 3:15PM
zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin

For those of us in the Northern Tier, bean transplants can be very cost effective - especially pole varieties of beans, limas, and yardlongs, which give a lot of bang for the buck. Since I save my own seed, and grow some long-season varieties, they often make the difference between success & failure. However, DO NOT transplant beans much above their original soil line. They are very susceptible to fungal diseases & damping off if their stems are buried.

Same goes for squash, cukes, melons, and other members of the gourd family.

Tomatoes & peppers thrive when planted deep. I intentionally grow my transplants leggy to take advantage of this. To me, the perfect tomato transplant is one that I have to bury sideways in a trench, pinching off all but the top 3-4 leaves. Compared to bushy transplants planted vertically, they bear a little later... but once all of those extra roots get established, the heavier yield is worth the wait. That blasphemy would probably get me expelled from the tomato forum. ;-)

Bookmark   March 1, 2009 at 6:14PM
More Discussions
Unforecasted late frost
I'm pretty much a newbie. I transplanted a yellow...
Katie Gooding
Growing malabar spinach
I want to grow malabar spinach, but I do not have a...
robert2014 zone 5b
Skirret and Sea Kale
Can someone tell me where I might buy Skirret and Sea...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
Frost damaged lettuce transplants
Hi all, Transplanted some lettuce outside last week...
Anthony
Experiment Results: Growing vegetables in different soil-less mixes
If someone are interested to follow an experiment to...
Jacques (MP, South Africa) S
Sponsored Products
Antique Black Oval Olive Tub
$19.99 | zulily
Rosemary Spiral Topiary in Square Metal Planter Christmas Decor
$799.00 | FRONTGATE
Empire Tan Nautical On Cream Lamp Shade 9x16x12 (Spider)
$89.91 | Lamps Plus
Whiter Shade of Pale Faux-Peony Arrangement - WHITE
$335.00 | Horchow
Heavenly Succulent & Lichen Wreath
$69.99 | Dot & Bo
David Bromstad Blue "Flowers in Unity" Artwork
Grandin Road
Safavieh Chairs Green Ceramic Chinese Dragon Patio Stool ACS4505A
Home Depot
Hold All Pendants & Hanging Fixtures Outdoor LED Solar Hanging Planter Lite
$14.99 | Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™