peony question

meadowgarden(zone 6 NY Longisland)June 4, 2008

this is my second year with my peony plants.. (5) and there no flower. there is plenty of leaves. no flower. One is in direct sunlight.. while the others are in a bit of shade. can someone tell me what i am doing wrong. Thanks in Advance!

Meadow

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

How disappointing that must be Meadow.

The most common problem causing peonies to not bloom is that they are planted too deep...or have gotten deeper as a result of mulch, grass clippings, etc.

On mine, I can actually see the top of the woody part of the root...or it is about 1/2 below the surface, and always get good bloom.

You might check out the link below

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Why Won't My Peonies Bloom?

Bookmark   June 4, 2008 at 8:02PM
meadowgarden(zone 6 NY Longisland)

Thanks SUe!

I will pull them up so they aren't so deep. Thanks for the TIP and link :)

Meadow

ps i guess i will have another year with out the flower. :(

Bookmark   June 4, 2008 at 8:06PM
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

Yes...but they will be so beautiful next season, if you follow most of those things in that link. Do you know the names of what you have?

I will share a pic of one from a prev year. I am unsure of the name, but think it might be Bowl of Beauty. It looks so different at different times though out the bloom stage. It smells like heaven too.

Sue

Bookmark   June 4, 2008 at 10:27PM
chrizty

mines white, i got pinks that are 3yrs old n havent bloomes yet, ill check n see how far down they are:)

Bookmark   June 4, 2008 at 11:37PM
medontdo(8)

mine is like yours sue, and does smell so awesome!!! i replanted mine, i took them out of the shade, they fully bloomed there, and put them in full sun, and they fully bloom, and i put them only like where the dirt covers the top of the "bulb" maybe 3" or so. they seem to love it!! and have been putting off new babies every year!! i had to move them cuz the rose bush was taking over their area!! big time, which also smells heavenly!!! LOL now i can't even tell where they "were" planted!! LOL

Bookmark   June 12, 2008 at 11:12PM
More Discussions
Wanted: Rooted fig cutting or cuttings
Well, I guess this past harsh winter did my fig plants...
plantsforever
WANTED: Blueberry plants, Cuttings or Offsets
I am looking for named blueberry plants or offsets...
cactuspaul Tulsa zone7
Have: sarracenia rhizomez
I have sarracenia and venus flytraps for trade. Looking...
ericmd01
WANTED colocasia pinapple princess
Lost this one a few years ago and it seems to have...
miketropic
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™