shasta daisy

joanfordyceJune 28, 2008

WHY DIDN'T THE SHASTA DAISY PLANT THAT GREW SO NICE FOR 2 YEARS,COME BACK UP THE FOLLOWING YEAR???? THANK YOU JOAN

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chrizty

k dutch iris, hollyhocks,n shastas im wondering if you have a critter eating away at your bulbs roots or seeds?
maybe dig in your soil a bit n see if you have alot of grubs or other bad bugs, keep an eye out for squirrels, chimpmunks, moles,mice

Bookmark   June 30, 2008 at 2:46PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
livingdedgrrl(z5 OH)

My various plants do that sometimes. I had several long-time plants not come up last year. I thought they were dead, but then this year, there they are! As big and beautiful as ever.

I see you're in PA, so you probably experience the same weather I do (somewhat) here in Ohio. The winter when a bunch of my plants didn't come back was when it got down to almost -30 degrees. I think that hit them pretty hard and they took a whole year to recover. So, I think it depends sometimes on the winter climates' affects on the roots. Plus, it's been unusually cool here, and a lot of plants are growing and blooming late because the heat they need just isn't there.

Another thing you might try is when you cut the plants down for winter, let them dry out and then leave a good 12 inches of stem and leaves on there. Don't cut them all the way down to the ground. An old gardener taught me that trick, and it works! It helps insulate the core of the plants from the snow and cold like extra insulation, plus it gives the beneficial insects a place to hide all winter.

Bookmark   July 1, 2008 at 12:42AM
More Discussions
Have: grape hyacinth bulbs
I got these from mail order as a free gift. I allready...
tamela_star
WANTED: Blueberry plants, Cuttings or Offsets
I am looking for named blueberry plants or offsets...
cactuspaul Tulsa zone7
Wanted: asiatic lilies and tulip bulbs
Hello. Im looking for asiatic lilies and bright colored...
ericmd01
passion fruit
anyone have the edible passion fruit vine.... passiflora...
mamcc2
WANTED: Weeping Willow Cuttings...trade/or pay for postage
Need a few cuttings that I can start and grow in Zone...
happytomato2008
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™