Growing Pomegranates in Containers? Success?

JessicasgrowincitrusApril 18, 2011

Hello fellow container gardeners.

I have been stalking my local hardware stores lately waiting for this season's shipments of citrus to arrive. And luckily McClendon's Hardware will be getting their 1 gallon Meyer Lemons in this week! Finally!

The lady also mentioned that they will be getting in pomegranates too.

I am intrigued!

There is a thread in the Fruit and Orchards forum, but it dates back to 2006 with some updates in 2007. So I thought I would see if anyone here in the container forums are currently growing or have grown pomegranates in containers and if you have do you have any advise/tips to help me succeed.

I live in Washington state (zone 5) and from what I read on line I may be able to grow them successfully in containers, although I may never get fruit.

Your thoughts?

~Jessica

I also posed this question in the Northwest Gardening Forum to see if anyone locally has tried this. I will share anything I hear there with the container forum in case there is anyone else in the NW that wants to try this too.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

Jessica you can grow Punica granatum "Nana", which is a dwarf Pomegranate. It will usually grow to about six feet but can be kept smaller. It will bloom over a long season but not make a edible fruit. They are not too messy, and will make an attractive container plant. Al

Bookmark   April 19, 2011 at 8:54AM
Jessicasgrowincitrus

Thanks Al. Good to hear from you. Hopefully that is the kind that they will have in stock.... I am fine with just getting flowers. That is my favorite part. :)

Thanks!

Bookmark   April 19, 2011 at 9:29AM
nullzero(9)

You can grow them in containers and get fruit. However you may need a 15 gal min. container. Also don't expect to get baskets filled with fruit. I would expect more like 4-6 nicely sized pomegranates per container on a 4 year old plant. I would recommend pruning off the fruit the first couple of years to thicken the trunk.

Here is some pictures;

Angel Red
From Mar 27, 2011

Parfianka
From Mar 27, 2011

Bookmark   April 21, 2011 at 1:49PM
houstontexas123(z9a)

two 2 year old Angel Reds, and two 1 year old Angel Reds.

they like full sun.

Bookmark   April 22, 2011 at 6:24AM
ykerzner(9 TX)

If you use the gritty mix (instructions elsewhere on container forum) you can expect almost non-stop flowering for some time after repotting, if growing Nana. The dwarf fruit it produces can actually be eaten for intestinal parasites, but is mostly ornamental.

Bookmark   April 22, 2011 at 11:20AM
More Discussions
Help with 5:1:1
Some lol-basic questions about quantities needed for...
containergardenerbeginner
Help with 1:1:1 - weight and sourcing in the UK
I've just clicked that weight is going to be an issue...
containergardenerbeginner
meyer lemon tree leaves yellowing
I have a meyer lemon tree and I brought it in for the...
mlmib
aphid issue + not many predators
Hello, dear Container G people!!! So, let me know if...
Need2SeeGreen
Avocado as a Container Plant III
Well, another wonderful Summer is passing, and there...
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™