While Weeding My Flowers...........

catsoup(zone 6)July 4, 2007

We have had so much rain lately here in southern Missouri. The weeds have grown up in my flowers. I was out yesterday evening weeding one of my flowerbeds, watching all the time in case a snake might have decided to take up residency there. I had about half of the bed weeded and reached back in for another handful and saw a COPPERHEAD slithering through the weeds where I was reaching. EOWWW! Didn't take me long to step away from the flowerbed.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wishnforspring(z5 Upstate NY)

I am glad we don't have them here(?) I did see a 3 ft.copper colored snake here about 3 weeks ago,it had a square-ish head and did shake it's tail-no rattle though-geesh! I hope it wasn't one!!
I'm glad you saw it before it saw you!!

Bookmark   July 4, 2007 at 4:29PM
jaceysgranny(7aAR)

I'm glad it didn't get you! I've always heard that if the nose is square it is poisonous. Copperheads are striped and so are coral snakes.

"Red on yellow, dangerous fellow"
"Red on black, friend to Jack"

"Red on yellow, kill a fellow"
"Red on black, venom lack"

If you can remember these it will help you to know when to ease away.

Nancy

Bookmark   July 6, 2007 at 6:18PM
oakleif(z6 AR)

catsoup, I know what you mean both about the rain and the copperhead. We've got plenty of both down here in the ARK Ozarks.
My flowerbeds seem to have more weeds than flowers. I'm trying to transplant most of my flowers into large pots.I never realized how many flowers i had.
I'd like to invite you over to the Ozark forum
We've alot of folks from MO.
vickie

Bookmark   July 8, 2007 at 2:44PM
jaceysgranny(7aAR)

Sorry, I guess I was wrong when I said the copperhead is striped. The shape is more of an hourglass. Thank you Vickie for setting me straight.

Nancy

Bookmark   July 8, 2007 at 4:14PM
jaceysgranny(7aAR)

Sorry, I guess I was wrong when I said the copperhead is striped. The shape is more of an hourglass. Thank you Vickie for setting me straight.

Nancy

Bookmark   July 8, 2007 at 6:43PM
catsoup(zone 6)

Jaceysgranny, that's pretty clever. I'll have to use my pea brain a little bit and try to memorize that. When I see a snake, I get so flabbergasted, I would probably forget it, tho.

Oakleif, I have visited the Ozarks forum before. I'll check it out again, thanks for the invite.

When I go out into my yard now, I am always looking for another copperhead. That's the second one we have killed in the last couple of weeks, and they were only about 5 feet apart. We killed the first one about 3 days before the second one............gives me the Willies!

Bookmark   July 9, 2007 at 10:40PM
More Discussions
HAVE: Scion Wood
I plan to prune in February or late January and will...
charlieboring
HAVE: Succulents and Cactus
Looking for different succulents and cactus, cuttings...
katts380
WANTED: Weeping Willow Cuttings...trade/or pay for postage
Need a few cuttings that I can start and grow in Zone...
happytomato2008
Looking for a chinese evergreen cutting
I'm looking to propagate a chinese evergreen as I'm...
Megan Carmeli
HAVE: Monstera deliciosa albo variegata
I have rooted cuttings of Monstera deliciosa albo variegata....
antbeez6
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™