Privacy border screening design in Middle Tn

karilyna(7)January 11, 2012

An office building is being constructed across the street from my back yard. Would cryptomeria radicans in staggered rows be a good idea to help screen? I already have a staggered row of Nachez and Muscogee Crape Myrtles across about 80 ft of the back line and want to screen 60 feet this area by adding evergreen trees in back of the crapes. I have about 50 ft to the street, but it is also an easement for drainage and drops off, so the best place is at the top and varies about from 10 to 15 feet wide before the drop off. Any suggestions about if it is necessary to vary the plant material? Or, would I be ok with just a staggered row of cryptomeria in back of the crapes? I want to plant evergreen screening trees right now so they can get established before summer. Suggestions about design and selection of plant material will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yardvaark

Yes, double staggered row will work. But do not count on planting now as resolving establishment of trees. It will help, but at least one growing season will be needed for this to occur. If a drought occurs, one season will be insufficient.

Bookmark   January 11, 2012 at 12:01PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nandina(8b)

What you plant for screening depends on how long you intend to own your present property. Cryptomeria radicans is a beautiful evergreen tree which will over the years lose its bottom branches, exposing the view you are trying to block. Not a good choice if you intend a long term property commitment. Perhaps American or English holly which retain bottom branching should be added to your list of considerations.

Bookmark   January 12, 2012 at 7:59AM
More Discussions
Bed lines don't matter if....
They're covered in snow! It will be interesting to...
Bama_Joe
Where to find 3/8" minus gravel in NY/NJ??
Our community garden is planning to rehabilitate our...
heavens123
Landscape advice for front yard please!
We have just moved into a house in SoCal - zone 10...
glitzalicious
Need tips to make garden spiral
so this is kind of embarrassing but I don't know how...
violetwest
Wind, sun and what best fits my backyard
Hi everyone! Please ignore the grass situation, will...
Bama_Joe
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™