Privacy border screening design in Middle Tn

karilyna(7)January 11, 2012

An office building is being constructed across the street from my back yard. Would cryptomeria radicans in staggered rows be a good idea to help screen? I already have a staggered row of Nachez and Muscogee Crape Myrtles across about 80 ft of the back line and want to screen 60 feet this area by adding evergreen trees in back of the crapes. I have about 50 ft to the street, but it is also an easement for drainage and drops off, so the best place is at the top and varies about from 10 to 15 feet wide before the drop off. Any suggestions about if it is necessary to vary the plant material? Or, would I be ok with just a staggered row of cryptomeria in back of the crapes? I want to plant evergreen screening trees right now so they can get established before summer. Suggestions about design and selection of plant material will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yardvaark

Yes, double staggered row will work. But do not count on planting now as resolving establishment of trees. It will help, but at least one growing season will be needed for this to occur. If a drought occurs, one season will be insufficient.

Bookmark   January 11, 2012 at 12:01PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nandina(8b)

What you plant for screening depends on how long you intend to own your present property. Cryptomeria radicans is a beautiful evergreen tree which will over the years lose its bottom branches, exposing the view you are trying to block. Not a good choice if you intend a long term property commitment. Perhaps American or English holly which retain bottom branching should be added to your list of considerations.

Bookmark   January 12, 2012 at 7:59AM
More Discussions
Issue with Retainer Wall, fixable or redo?
Hi, first time posting here. I'm looking for advice...
John Turner
Need help with landscaping my front hillside
I need some help with landscaping my front hillside....
dabeevm25
Help! My new front yard is UGLY! Any ideas appreciated!
Do I keep the stone flower bed edge? I was told it...
amynatashahowell
Plantings for Driveway/Walkway Design
We would like to pave the driveway. (I hope I am in...
doggonedeb
Help with frontyard design changes
Hi, I’m in the process of replacing turf in my front...
quikslvr0017
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™