4x4 Fence Post Sleeves?

uvascanyon(8A)January 15, 2011

We have an old, dilapidated fence that needs to be replaced. While working on the planting of Italian Cypress near it, I had this seemingly novel idea of a sleeve, within the concrete, that receives the post. This way when the post deteriorates and needs replacement, it's a rather simple procedure of sliding out the old one, and in with the new; as opposed to digging-up and removing a massive 3' concrete cylinder.

Of course, someone already had such an idea, and product as well, as seen in the provided link. Seems a bit pricey though, given the number that I'd need.

Is anyone else aware of other such offerings? I saw something called Oz-Posts, or something like that, but they don't go into concrete though.

I appreciate any input you might have, thank you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Novel Fence Post Sleeve Product

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bahia(SF Bay Area)

When I am faced with rotted out fence posts, or even contemplating a new fence construction, I find it cheaper to use 2.5 inch diameter steel fence posts framed out with 1" pressure treated douglas fir to hide the metal. The posts are the same as those used for cyclone fences and last forever. You can offset the locations of the new posts from the old footings, and simply rehang the existing rails and fencing off the new posts without having to dig up the footings.

Bookmark   January 15, 2011 at 1:01PM
uvascanyon(8A)

That sounds like a rather neat idea. Might you have a photo so I can better visualize? I'm thinking of a "country" fence, you know the type, with like 3 or 4 2x8" spans, between the 4x4 posts.

With your approach (2.5" gal posts), would that be possible?

Really trying to visualize the framing... Thanks again!

Bookmark   January 15, 2011 at 5:37PM
uvascanyon(8A)

If I can follow-up further, here (link) are some neat steel to wood adapters. While I'm still not sure how you "hide" the galvanized post, I wonder if it's possible to get a good, lasting paint job on galvanized. If so, kindly share...

I'd like to avoid the commercial look of galvanized in our rural setting... Either that, or put wood over it, as described earlier.

Here is a link that might be useful: Steel to wood adapters...

Bookmark   January 16, 2011 at 1:44AM
bahia(SF Bay Area)

The 1" wood is used to create a framed box sleeve that slips vertically over the steel pole to hide the metal, with the wood lag screwed into the pole to secure it. Typical wood framing for the fence is then attached as it would normally be for a wood post. The metal pole is not visible at all, if a 2" by 6" or similar is used as a horizontal trim/cap at the fence. I've no experience with trying to paint galvanized steel, but I suppose there are paints and primers meant for this.

Bookmark   January 16, 2011 at 12:57PM
uvascanyon(8A)

Thanks for the reply. I follow what you are saying, and is what I had visualized basically... I'll stop at The Home Depot or Lowe's soon to see what I can come-up with to create this box sleeve.

Today's pressure-treated wood eats hardware, unless it has a special coating. So, securing these four pieces of wood to create the frame should take that into account...

Bookmark   January 16, 2011 at 3:13PM
More Discussions
Mulch/grass over asphalt?
Our entire backyard was paved with asphalt by the previous...
stevet47
Wind, sun and what best fits my backyard
Hi everyone! Please ignore the grass situation, will...
Bama_Joe
Front Yard Landscape Help! Zone 10a
We are looking to remodel the front of our home. We...
honesthouse
Where to find 3/8" minus gravel in NY/NJ??
Our community garden is planning to rehabilitate our...
heavens123
Ditched my landscaper - yellow pine choice
Going to my local Camellia expert's nursery and just...
Bama_Joe
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™