Need advice re: bloodgood maple

vp_78April 12, 2014

We inherited a Bloodgood Japanese Maple growing in a large container when we bought our house, and I'm not sure what to do with it. I've done some research, and I've read that they only survive in a container for a few years before they need to be planted in ground. Other sources say they can live for a long time in a container.

My dilemma therefore is to decide whether to hang onto it for as long as I can, or to give it away to someone who can plant it in ground. It's about 5 feet tall, has a trunk diameter of about an inch to an inch and a half, and is covered in leaf buds and a few emerging leaves.

I would be grateful for input from those with more knowledge than me! Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vp_78

BTW here are the reasons why I concluded that it's a bloodgood:

1) Most of the local nurseries here (including the box stores and the larger locals) carry bloodgoods

2) The leaves are consistent with bloodgoods -- mostly red, but will green up when it gets hot

3) I've compared the leaves to the bloodgoods at our local nurseries, and they appear identical.

So I don't know for certain that it's a bloodgood, it's just my best guess based on information available. And I can post a pic after the leaves emerge.

Bookmark   April 12, 2014 at 1:12PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

You can keep it in a large container indefinitely if you do regular maintenance, i.e. root-pruning and replacing the soil when it is spent. Japanese maples in containers are rather popular.

Josh

Bookmark   April 12, 2014 at 3:28PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Here's my Bloodgood for future comparison....I put it in the ground last year, and it has done very well.

Josh

Bookmark   April 12, 2014 at 3:32PM
vp_78

Thanks for the info Josh! Yours is really pretty, but it looks like it's in the ground. Or is it in a sunken planter? And why do you have the netting around it?

Bookmark   April 12, 2014 at 3:42PM
gardengal48

I had a whole long response written out, then got distracted and lost it!! But Josh has answered in a much more concise manner anyway :-))

I've attached a link to a long running thread on this forum regarding growing maples in containers. Hopefully it will provide the additional info you need. There is an even longer running thread on growing trees (in general) in containers if you do a search. Both should be a great resource.

btw, I grow ALL my Japanese maples in containers, some in excess of 15 years.

Bookmark   April 12, 2014 at 3:49PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Nika, it is in the ground :-) I mentioned that I put it in the ground last year. The fencing is to protect the tree from deer. They will eat every bud, leaf, and twig....and then they'll destroy what's left with their antlers. I have to keep trees fenced until the foliage is out of reach of the deer and the trunks are too thick for antler scraping.

Josh

Bookmark   April 12, 2014 at 3:56PM
More Discussions
Coarse Perlite for 5:1:1
Hi all, first off is "coarse" the correct...
halocline
Pine Bark Fines Substitute?
I'm having trouble finding pine bark fines for the...
johnweh
Raised Bed Question
I bought 2 raised beds, 6' x 6' x 10". Can I stack...
sokrmomtx
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soils
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soilscolor>size> A...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
Apartment composting and container gardening.
Any tips or tricks using apartment compost with your...
newgardenelf
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™