need info to overwinter elephant ears

woodsidetrader(PA/6)August 1, 2006

traded for some black stem elephant ears in the spring. they are not hardy here. but a great plant I would like to keep. has anyone been successful bringing them in for the winter? need advice. thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
butterflychaser(z7)

Sure, bring them in and keep them potted like a houseplant. I have a collection of different ee's and I bring most of them in. A few will go dormant, can't remember if black stem does. But don't panic if it does. If provided enough light, I don't think it will.

NancyAnn

Bookmark   August 1, 2006 at 2:17PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
micke(6)

You can also dig up the bulb and store it in sawdust in a cool dry envirement. Never done that myself I am in SW MO and they aren't suppose to be hardy here, but I just cover them with pine needles and straw and they come up again every year, and some are even on the north side of the house (they are under a big pine tree, and that might help to protect them) I like the idea of bringing them in in pots however, never thought to do that! think I will try that this year with a few of them, see how they do.
I am probuably playing russian roulette with them anyway, our winters seem to be continuing to get milder and milder, watch, we will have a bunch of single digit days some winter and I will be out there in the cold trying to dig up my Elephant Ears, cannas and glads!
micke

Bookmark   August 9, 2006 at 11:33PM
More Discussions
HAVE: Arisaema proboscideum (mouse plant)
These Arisaema proboscideum had multiplied so much...
bunnynomnom
2nd annual 'Shovel Prune' plant swap Portland, OR area)
Just wanted remind people to start thinking about,...
duane456
Have: grape hyacinth bulbs
I got these from mail order as a free gift. I allready...
tamela_star
WANTED colocasia pinapple princess
Lost this one a few years ago and it seems to have...
miketropic
Wanted: Woodland fern cuttings
Looking for woodland fern, lady in red, any ferns that...
dawnkelsch13
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™