Growing Elephant Ears

LittleOtterPup(8)April 18, 2014

I have a massive concrete pot, 4 feet x 4 feet (the pot is identical to the one in the picture) and got 2 elephant ear bulbs (they are very large bulbs, as large as my hands). My question is can they bulbs be planted in the concrete pot and what location (total sun, part sun or shade) is best for growing them. Any info would be awesome, thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mksmth zone 6b Tulsa Oklahoma(6b)

There is an Aroid forum here that might be of interest to you.
to answer your question, yes you can. They will be an annual in your state so this fall you will need to store either the plant in the pot or dig up and store the bulbs.

I have grown them for years and they seem to do just fine for me in full sun but I think they do prefer part sun. Also in the heat of the summer they will take all the water you can give them.

Mike

Bookmark   April 18, 2014 at 2:33PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ohiofem(6a Ohio)

There are several different plants called elephant ears. They are mostly colocasias, and probably the most common is Colocasia esculenta. I've grown that one in a 15 gallon pot in shade where it only gets a little dappled sun. Starting with a bulb or corm about the size of a pineapple, mine produced a plant six feet tall with leaves that were up to 3 feet long on four foot stalks. The roots filled the container and crawled out the drainage holes. Very cool.

I think they can handle full sun, but prefer some shade. They need a lot of water and fertilizer. The plant wilts dramatically when it's thirsty. I had to water every other day when temperatures were high. Your pot would be a good home for them if it has good drainage. I've seen them outside public buildings in containers like yours and they look quite dramatic.

You do have to remove them from the soil when temperatures stay below 45 for extended periods. They are definitely tropical plants that will go dormant and lose their leaves in the fall.

Bookmark   April 18, 2014 at 7:44PM
More Discussions
anything you wanted to talk about vii - prolly mostly ot
I guess I didn't realize the last thread was about...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
RE: Brush Cherry ( Josh? )
Hi Josh, I thought I would get this off of Al's thread...
halocline
Miniature rose plant..
Got this from nursery yesterday .. But something is...
amriteanukul112
CONTAINER SOILS - WATER MOVEMENT and RETENTION XXII
Hello! Houzz's new format has presented some challenges,...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
Growing Dahlia and Sweet Pea in same container? (advice)
I have a few very large planters, and while I do love...
silverrowan
Sponsored Products
Mod Made Aspect Bar Stool In Red [Set of 2]
Beyond Stores
Skyline 22 x 22 Pillow
$22.95 | Bellacor
George Kovacs | P1609 Table Lamp
$170.00 | YLighting
Joe Colombo Armchair by Kartell
$3,000.00 | Lumens
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Accent Rug: Surya Rugs angelo:HOME Charcoal Gray 2
$69.60 | Home Depot