Berm beds

nanarose(z5/6MO)January 15, 2007

I don't want a typical raised bed with landscaping timbers or such, but a berm bed. I have seen pictures of these but not quite sure how to begin one. Do I just pile compost, soil and manure on the grass or do I need to dig a trench first to keep grass from going into the bed. Need all the help I can get. I just moved into this house and want to get beds started this summer.

Thanks.

Rose

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
isabella__MA(z5_MA)

Never heard of the term berm bed before, but it sounds great. I have built and planted berms with perennials and groundcovers, but I never used a trench at its base. I would be concerned with it filling in with erosion. Typically I am not worried about grass creeping up my berm but rather my berm plantings creeping out into the yard. A healthy thick lawn can hold it's own against most on-comers though, but soon enough I will be putting in some black plastic edging.

Bookmark   January 15, 2007 at 9:13PM
Brent_In_NoVA(z7/6 VA)

Rose: How big of a berm are you thinking about? Below is a link with some good information on basic berms.

- Brent

Here is a link that might be useful: Building Soil Berms - SULIS

Bookmark   January 16, 2007 at 8:43AM
gardengal48

I prefer a clean line with no edging material around any garden bed, bermed or otherwise, so I'd do the trench to outline the area in question. Erosion is typically not a problem with a well-designed berm - the slope is not severe enough to encourage it and without some sort of demarkation, turf grasses will encroach if not kept back.

The SULIS website is an excellent overview on berming. There is no need to remove existing sod if you layer the area first with newspaper - a modification of a lasagne garden - as long as the berm is deep enough to allow planting without disturbing this layer until the sod and paper has decomposed.

Also, bermed or mounded beds just seem to call out for a couple of well-placed landscape boulders to anchor them and provide a sense of permanence. And they are a wonderful addition to allow suitable plants to drape or cascade over or creep around. Just be sure to "plant" them well, with a third to half in the ground so they look natural and not just flung into the planting area.

Bookmark   January 16, 2007 at 11:03AM
nightfly

Would a berm be a method to block water that is flowing from yard to yard? I am thinking about putting in something that woould look natural to block/soak water.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to create a berm

Bookmark   January 26, 2007 at 4:51PM
More Discussions
Landscaping front yard, zone 5. HELP!!!! :)
We have recently done some work to our front yard (tearing...
midwestmelissa
Small Tree Suggestions
I have a 20 x 20 concrete patio that I'd like to put...
kristinainaustin
retaining wall on a budget
I would appreciate any suggestions on what materials...
festucablue
Design ideas for paving
I am trying to pave the area where the pine straw is....
Jacob-web
adding curb appeal to our home
Hi, ** I also posted this in the tips and techniques...
aligal266
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™