Seedlings to big for my solo cups?

suburbangardenMD(7)April 16, 2012

So, I posted this under the Growing From Seed Forum, but I figured I would post here as well seeing as how some of these guys may will end up in containers outside eventually ( some will end up in raised beds ).

The link below is a photo of a few of my largest tomato and eggplant seedlings. They are in solo cups at the moment and are growing fast. I have started seeds in the window for the last few years, this year was the first I used grow lights, what a difference, the growth is way ahead of where it was last year.

So, what do all you more experienced folk think, ho wlong can my guys make it in these cups? Should I plant up to a larger container or attempt to harden off and stick them out into the world full time? I was considering hardening some off and planting in their final containers or in my raised beds next week. The weather has been warm, and while there is always a chance for a late April cold front, its looking toasty here in The Old Line State ( Maryland ). Thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
capoman(5a)

I would transplant the ones that are intended for containers right away. For the ones intended for the ground, start hardening them to transplant to soil. I would not do the interim step of planting to a larger container during hardening if you can avoid it. I would start hardening on your last frost date, which should be soon for you in zone 7.

Bookmark   April 16, 2012 at 4:34PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
suburbangardenMD(7)

I think I am going to start the hardening off process and get things that are outgrowing the cups planted outside. The containers are going on a self watering gutter system minnesotakid posted on here and on youtube so once they are out there wont be anyway to bring them back in. A week from now we should be safe...a few chilly nights maybe but safe...I hope!

Bookmark   April 16, 2012 at 10:35PM
More Discussions
Potting into Air Pots, root length question
Hello all, My question is, air pots are supposed to...
stickstring (Northern California 8b)
My New Raised Container Garden - Thanks for all the Help
This is really more of a conversational post. No real...
Cliff Pruitt
zone 9 or so best roses for containers
what are your best roses for container gardening
zippity1
Cor-ten planters safe for growing edibles?
I'd like to grow some edibles but the best sun is in...
midwestgal67
To find popular threads try this...
When you are looking for popular threads from the GW...
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™